2 days for hiking around Grindelwald end of Sept

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
kasyes
kasyes
2 posts
Sep 19, 2019 - 8:05 AM

Hi

I will be staying at Grindelwald 2 full days. Next week 25 to 26 sep (actually 4 days 24 to 27 sep but first day arrived at night and last day need to depart morning to catch flight elsewhere...)

I need some advice, my main interest is hiking (buf if not possible, sightseeing)

- Plan to go the Eiger trail n some other trails. which variants of Eiger trail would be good or best and what other trails is highly recommended ?

- Google weather is rainy next week? Would hiking still be possible?

- Mainly hiking solo...anything to watch out for? Also roughly what time it would get too dark?

thanks

Ildiko
Ildiko
406 posts
top member &
Sep 19, 2019 - 12:33 PM in reply to kasyes

Hi Kasyes,

you can find some recommended hikes at www.myswissalps.com/hi king. Use the filter to search for the Jungfrau region. Eiger trail is very popular, you can find information about it here: www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/hiking-eiger-trail and www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/eiger-trail/.

Read this regarding how to prepare for hiking in the Alps: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preparatio and check this too: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/etiquette.

Weather in Switzerland can change in a minute - sometimes not even according to the forecasts. The forecasts are somewhat reliable for 2 to 3 days ahead of time. But even if it says rain for the day, it does not necessarily mean that it will rain all day long. It's also worth to check the webcams on the mountains on your travel day.

I like the app of MeteoSwiss, they have great animation for clouds too (also for rain and temperature). I always check it in the early morning, if I am planning to go on a mountain trip. Usually it is more clear in the morning than in the afternoon.

Regarding the sunset and sunrise see this: www.timeanddate.com/su n/@2660498

Make sure to read these too:
www.myswissalps.com/we ather
www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

kasyes
kasyes
2 posts
Sep 20, 2019 - 6:23 AM

thanks for all the tips n pointers.

i noticed there are various train stations in grindelwald itself - Grindelwald Grund, and Grindelwald itself. when looking at trainline, i also noticed Grindelwald bhf ??? what the difference - is the bhf the bus station??

since i would be travelling/hiking within grindelwald and nearby, think it worthwhile to get the Jungfrau Travel Pass?? is it available at grindelwald train station??

thanks

Anna
Anna
251 posts
top member &
Sep 21, 2019 - 9:27 AM

Hi Kasyes,

I understand your confusion. Yes, Grindelwald Bhf is the train and also bus station. Grindelwald is the town and Grindelwald Grund is a smaller village nearby.

It is worth getting the regional pass if you plan to travel in the region but the Jungfrau Travelpass is currently ony available for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 consecutive travelling days. You can get more information here www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass

Since you are travelling for 4 days in Switzerland, we recommend the Swiss Travel Pass as this will also cover your journeys to and in other parts of Switzerland.
www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

You can get more information about how to choose the most suitable rail pass here:
www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Sep 21, 2019 - 2:41 PM by Anna

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019