2 days in Wengen for family with 2 kids in June

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tjadamsiii
Tjadamsiii
7 posts
May 30, 2019 - 4:00 AM

I am taking my Colorado family to Switzerland but only have 2 full days. We are planning on staying in Wengen at Hotel Schonegg. Any thoughts on this hotel? My wife and I have twin 11 year old girls. We will be traveling from Paris on 6/25 to Wengen. My thought is to go to Schiltorn on 6/26 via Murren and then come back down to Tummelbach falls for our first day. The second day I need some suggestions. Should we go up the Jungfrajoch and then come down through Grindlewald and do the First Glider (Is this cool or silly?) Would we have time for a hike that afternoon and then go back to Wengen via Interlaken? Is this reasonable or is that way too much? Or should we skip the Jungfrajoch and just do a hike near Wengen on the 2nd day. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6334 posts
expert
May 30, 2019 - 9:04 AM in reply to Tjadamsiii

Hi Tjadamsiii -

Since you are traveling late in June, we can recommend this spectacular hike, which opens on average at about June 15th. Before that, snow blocks the trail near Tschuggen. Winter leaves late at high altitudes, as you surely must know from your experience in Colorado.

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

I've attached some pictures from different times of year, including those of my daughter and 8 year old granddaughter in September 2009 when we took that walk together.

For the rest of your questions, what is worthwhile is very much a personal opinion. Perhaps the 11 year olds would like the First Flyer or Glider, perhaps they would not like them at all. ;-)

Jungfraujoch is expensive and impressive, but not for everyone's taste. Other's love it. Especially, it might be worthwhile to avoid it if the weather is not clear. Not much of a view if there is a cloud layer up there. ;-(

www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Specifics for the various mountains can be found in the list here:

www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites

You can get some idea of the time required for various trips within the region by using the timetable. It works for all forms of transport:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The cableway from Grindelwald to Männl;ichen will be closed for reconstruction until the Fall. There will be a substitute bus. The timetable will let you know about that.

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 30, 2019 - 9:39 AM by Slowpoke
Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
13641 posts
expert &
May 30, 2019 - 9:59 AM

Hi Tjadamsiii,

Hotel Schönegg is in our listed of recommended hotels: www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/hotels. Good location, excellent reviews, so a very good choice.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6334 posts
expert
May 30, 2019 - 12:20 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno-

To add to your comments about the Schönegg, I'll say that I have stayed there a few times and have found it to be an exceptionally fine hotel, run in the best Swiss tradition.

The excellent restaurant strives for a serious gourmet experience and succeeds. It might be the best, and is certainly among the few best in Wengen.

For variety, and if the kids want something a bit less sopgisticated, the places listed in Kim's excellent report offer a range of options:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

I recall that some of the links are being updated, but the comments about the restaurannts are very relevant.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
13641 posts
expert &
May 31, 2019 - 6:35 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks for adding that Slowpoke. They have a lot of happy guests so I've heard.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019