Tips for 4 days Basel and surroundings in Oct

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Filipe perei
Filipe perei
1 post
Sep 4, 2019 - 12:00 AM

Hi!

Im going to basel on 30th october and I have four days there.

What can I see nearby?

What are the best cities to visit? I was thinking on One city each day.

thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6873 posts
expert
Sep 4, 2019 - 1:24 PM in reply to Filipe perei

Hi Felipe,-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

<<"What can I see nearby?">>

The timetable will show you that most of Switzerland is "nearby" for the purpose of a day trip.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Here is a list of popular towns (and regions):

www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

Any map will help you. I like this one:

map.search.ch/?pos=669824,249344&z=4

Train lines are very clear at this magnification:

map.search.ch/?pos=615824,268336&z=32

Slowpoke

PS- Don't miss the Tingueley water sculpture (fountain) in Basel.

Last modified on Sep 4, 2019 - 1:25 PM by Slowpoke
Ildiko
Ildiko
396 posts
top member &
Sep 4, 2019 - 4:41 PM in reply to Filipe perei

Hi Felipe,

From Basel you can get in an hour to Bern, 1,5 hours to Zürich, Lucerne too, all by train. You can check in the timetable: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

You can read about these cities and regions here:

If you are traveling a lot by train, consider buying a rail pass. Once you know your itinerary, on this link you'll find a very useful guide with a calculation spreadsheet, which helps you how to choose a rail pass in just 5 steps: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it's valid" page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully. Usually travelers choose the Swiss Travel Pass
(www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) as this is the best and most convenient solution for trains in Switzerland.

Make sure to read these too:

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6873 posts
expert
Sep 4, 2019 - 4:54 PM in reply to Ildiko

Exactly -

And, you can even go all the way diagonally across the country and past the Alps, to the Italian border at Chiasso, in 4 hours +/-. Two or three times per hour during the day. Not that Chiasso is worth visiting, but, that example illustrates the scope size and travel times for Switzerland rail.

Slowpoke

andrew
andrew
98 posts
Sep 8, 2019 - 6:12 PM

Hi Felipe,

Near at hand to Basel and well worth a visit are the Roman remains of Augusta Raurica. It's a Roman archaeological site and an open-air museum located on the south bank of the Rhine river about 20 km east of Basel. Take the train from Basel to Kaiseraugst and it's a 15 minute walk to the site of the oldest known Roman colony on the Rhine. See www.augustaraurica.ch/ en/

There's also plenty to see and do in Basel itself. Last year a friend had an enforced 3 day stay in Basel because of weather delayed flights. He easily filled the time and hotels give free passes on local transport.

Andrew

1960man
1960man
2256 posts
top member
Sep 9, 2019 - 11:49 PM in reply to Filipe perei

As others have said there is lots to do in Basel and immediate surroundings so don't ignore that, but Basel is also superbly placed for visiting just about anywhere in Switzerland, as it is a nodal point for inter city trains. For example in April I went to Basel, one of the northern extremities of Switzerland, from the Valais(the southenmost border area ) in only 2 hours

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6873 posts
expert
Sep 10, 2019 - 12:25 AM in reply to 1960man

As noted earlier in the thread...4 hours to Chiasso.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019