4 days in Bernese Oberland region mid June

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kames63
Kames63
7 posts
Jun 9, 2019 - 9:55 PM

I am flying into Zurich and am scheduled to arrive early June 19. I purchased a saver day pass and will travel to lauterbrunnen and use this as our base for 4 days. I plan to purchase the Bernese Oberland pass for a family of 4 (wife and 2 college age kids). It is our first time in Switzerland also.

I am hoping someone can tell me if the following is too much or not enough for a full day:

assuming weather is clear

day 1 - train to wilderswil, train to schynige platte, hike part way around loop. Train back to wilderswil, train to interlakken, boat ride on brienz, get off boat at giessbach to tour falls, back on boat to brienz. Train back to lauterbrunnen

day 2 - cable car to grutschalp, train to murren, up to allmendhubel, hike down to murren, hike to gimmelwald (or train). Tour each town along the way. Not sure what else to do or if time allows additional hikes or train travel

day 3 - train to wengen/Klein sheidegg/Grindelwald, cable car to first. Hike to bachalpsee. Back to first then grindelwald. Bus to mannlichen. Hike to Klein sheidegg. Back to lauterbrunnen by train.

Day 4 - train to kandersteg, cable car up mountain, hike to oeschinen. Back to kandersteg. Train to bern, tour town, swim in aare river. Back to lauterbrunnen

I have no idea if this is too much or too little to pack into a day. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My family is looking for some short and fairly easy hikes, nothing too difficult and long.

for bad weather days, we have looked at touring thun, beatus caves, spiez, and lucern. Any other suggestions for less than ideal weather?

Based on the 10 day forecast, I am not optimistic that we will have very many clear days.

Steph
Steph
1887 posts
top member &
Jun 10, 2019 - 11:00 AM in reply to Kames63

Hello Kames63,

Your itinerary sounds very nice and do-able, varied and you've for sure done your homework researching the area! :)

As it's very individual what is an acceptable day and how much traveling is fine I suggest you use the timetable provided below to work out connections and traveling times for each day. Make sure you read how the timetable works, it's a wonderful tool for planning.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Find helpful information about the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland as well as on the destinations and hikes you mention below:
- www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and

Day 1
- www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte
- www.myswissalps.com/hi king/schynigeplatte

Day 2
Our topmember Rockoyster's recommendation here might provide you with some inspiration
“From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren(train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn and Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. “

Day 3
- www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bachsee

Day 4
- www.myswissalps.com/ka ndervalley
- www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/hike-around-lake-oeschinensee-frudenschnuer
- www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/advice-on-kandersteg-to-oeschinen-lake-hike

To keep an eye on the weather use the first link below and/or the MeteoSWISS app in the second link:
- www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast
- www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

I hope this provides you with enough input to go into detailed planning of your stay here in Switzerland.

Get back to us for any further support anytime.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jun 10, 2019 - 11:05 AM by Steph

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019