Where to visit for 5 days in Switzerland Dec/Jan

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jrjohnson3
jrjohnson3
1 post
Apr 1, 2019 - 6:38 PM

HI,

My wife and I are planning to visit Switzerland from 29 December - 2 January. This would be our first visit. I wish we had more time but i have to be in Italy for meetings on January 3rd.

I'm wondering what area(s) we should stay. I've looked into Lucerne or Zermatt

We aren't big skiers, but we enjoy the mountains and the snow. We love nature and the scenery and avid photographers. Would definitely like to be able to take cog rail or cable up mountain. For instance the Gornergrat looks awesome. In Lucerne area Titlis and as well as Mt. Pilatus. I'm assuming the cogwheel won't be open then but the cable would be for Mt. Pilatus

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JR

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6146 posts
expert
Apr 1, 2019 - 8:18 PM in reply to jrjohnson3

Hi JR=-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps:

Quite few trails are groomed for hiking in the Winter, up until about the end of March.

I've never done any hiking then. September is my preference.

But, for a start, here is a good link, specific to the Jungfrau region:

www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/winter-hiking/

and an interesting thread:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/winter-hiking-jungfrau-region. The places that you mentioned would all do the job, in my opinion. I'm sure that there are better informed opinions than mine, and I expect that the holders of those opinions will jump in.

Meanwhile, search this My Swiss Alps website for "Winter hiking."

Slowpoke

Steph
Steph
1272 posts
top member &
Apr 2, 2019 - 5:10 AM in reply to jrjohnson3

Hello jrjohnson3 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

As Slowpoke says, you will find beautiful scenery in any of the places you mention. Lucerne is the lower option and would thus mean a little less snow and little more travelling to be "in" the mountains. Then again, for "bad weather" days, Lucerne might offer more alternatives, as it's the larger city.

You are right when you say Mount Pilatus will only be reachable by cable car from Kriens.
- www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere

- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities
- www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

- www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt
- www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat

You can see, the choice is big and the decision yours, I'm sure you'll find a place to spend a fab time.

Get back to us for any further input.

Best,
Steph

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019