8 nights itinerary from Zermatt to Zurich

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Grazie
Grazie
10 posts
May 21, 2019 - 9:34 AM

Hello again...after much deliberation, we've decided to just go straight to Zermatt instead of taking the Bernina Express. After an 8 hour flight, we're afraid that we'll be too tired to enjoy the ride and will eventually fall asleep and miss all the magnificent view. So here is our itinerary and would love to hear your input/suggestions as to what activities to do for each day.

July 7 - arrive in Milan at 6:30 am and will immediately take the train to Zermatt for a 2 night stay.

1st day in Zermatt - arrive around noon, check-in/drop off luggage. Quick lunch and then take the cable car to view Matterhorn. Walk around town.

2nd day in Zermatt - Gornergrat, hiking, forest park. (Need help here please...would really like to stay late at Gornergrat just to see/feel how peaceful it is up there).

July 9 - Leave in the morning for Interlaken. Still thinking if we should stop by in Montreux for a couple of hours or three to have lunch and check out the Chillo Castle. I am afraid though that it will take too much of our time?

Once in Interlaken, either walk around Lauterbrunnen or Grindewald and the surrounding area or depending what time we get there, maybe do the adventure park and rafting.

July 10 - Lunch at Piz Gloria, zipline, and hike down (which hike can we do after Piz Gloria?)

July 11 - Jungfraujoch and hike. Leave around 4pm for Chur.

Would really like to hike Bachalpsee Lake and Mannlichen and would also like to see the flower trail, but not sure how to best do these things or if they're even feasible with everything else we would like to do in Interlaken.

July 12 - Bernina Express (all day, will leave luggage at the train station to pick up in the evening for Lucerne.

July 13 - Lucerne- explore town (Museggmauer, Transportation museum, or maybe take a train to Bern in the morning)

July 14 - Lucerne (afternoon trip to Zurich to meet a friend for dinner

July 15 - train to Zurich for 4:30pm flight. Is it possible to do a boat ride in the morning and how soon do we have to be at the airport for a 4:30pm flight?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Snowman
Snowman
545 posts
top member
Arno
Arno
13286 posts
expert &
May 23, 2019 - 8:22 AM

Hi Grazie,

Chillon castle takes 2 hours even for a quick round. If you add lunch and transport from and to the castle you'll need 4 hours I'd say.

2nd day Zermatt: I would consider a walk to escape the (possible) masses at Gornergrat: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/rotenboden-riffelalp. You won't be alone in July but the trails won't be crowded as Gornergrat might be.

On July 10 you can do this walk: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren.

July 11: Jungfraujoch, plus one hike, plus a transfer to Chur would be too much for me, but it's all about what you can handle of course :-)

July 12: I would not travel back to Chur, but take the Bernina Express bus from Tirano to Lugano for more variety. Then a train to Lucerne from there. www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

July 15: yes, that's possible, please see www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakezurich.

Grazie
Grazie
10 posts
May 23, 2019 - 9:57 AM in reply to Snowman

Thank you Snowman!

Grazie
Grazie
10 posts
May 23, 2019 - 10:16 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you Arno! Looking at the Bernina Express, I did see an option for the Gotthard Bernina circular tour that starts and ends in Zurich so we can just stay overnight in Zurich instead of going all the way to Chur. It's too bad though that we wont' have time to visit Chur, but perhaps next time.

As for Montreux, we'll probably skip that as well as I would like to spend more time in Interlaken. Thank you again for all the help.

If you have any recommendation for restaurants (preferably on the inexpensive side), I would greatly appreciate it...oh, should I start a new threat for that topic?

Thanks again.

Arno
Arno
13286 posts
expert &
May 23, 2019 - 10:50 AM in reply to Grazie

Hi Grazie,

If you don't get replies about restaurants here then it might be useful to start a new thread for that, once your base towns are fixed.

traveljet
traveljet
131 posts
May 31, 2019 - 9:25 AM in reply to Grazie

Hello Grazie,

Maybe you can take a look at the reviews here for restaurants in Interlaken. As tastes and preferences do differ for each person, we just need to make a judgement call after reading the reviews. But at least it gives us a fair idea of what to expect.

https://www.tripadviso r.com/Restaurants-g188081-Interlaken_Bernese_Obe rland_Canton_of_Bern.h tml

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019