Zermatt and Interlaken 9 day trip mid September

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
14 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 12:19 AM

Hi there !

I am travelling to Switzerland on September 12-22(9 days ) arriving in Zurich . What would be the best option to do after my arrival in Zurich ?

Option A take train directly to Zermatt and spend three days there ?then back to Interlaken for three -4 days ? to hike Klein Scheidegg , First ,Lautenbrunnen , Grindelwald ,Murren and Wengen. Should I base in Interlacken or Wengen?

Option B From Zurich to Interlaken for three to four days ? to hike then to Zermatt for three days ?

1. Will 3 days enough for these places ? I have a total of 9 solid days . Will I also be able to do the bernina express to logano for a day ?

2. will 8 days Swiss pass cover my trains to these places from and to Zurich to catch my flight back?

I would appreciate any suggestion in the forum .

Thank you.

Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
95 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 10:43 AM in reply to Alvinandaya7

I can partially reply your questions. Yes 8 days Swiss Travel Pass will cover your train travels. You need to buy Mountain train / cable car tickets. You will get discount from 25%-50% with Swiss Pass

I briefly wrote experience on my travel blog www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-switzerland-may-2017 and see if it is helpful to you

Arno
Arno
14080 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2019 - 2:25 PM

Hi Alvinandaya7,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Option A and B are similar apart from the order. Perhaps your arrival time may favor one over the other. Train schedules can be found here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

1. You can easily spend a week in Zermatt and three in Interlaken, and still not see everything in the area. Having said that, 9 days is a good amount to split between both destinations and have a great time. The Bernina Express is in a different part of the country.

2. Yes, and discount for cable cars as Shroffchetan says. Please find details here: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
14 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 3:16 PM in reply to Shroffchetan

Thank you so much !

Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
14 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 3:18 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you so much ! Doing mostly hiking and reeking within the 9 days but would love to experience the glacier express I mean . Can you do a return or a day glacier express train ?

Arno
Arno
14080 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2019 - 6:21 PM in reply to Alvinandaya7

You're welcome! That's not easy without spending at least one night in St. Moritz or perhaps Chur. Please see www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress. If you do, I guess it's best at the end of your trip, after Zermatt.

Mncnath
Mncnath
8 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:36 PM

Hi there,

I saw this post earlier and thought that I would get some advice. We are planning to travel in Sept also (19-27), arriving in Zurich from Singapore and leaving from Paris. We are a family of 3 (with a 13 months old baby) and planning to spend 6 solid days in Switz before going to Paris for the rests of the trip.

We have a rough plan to visit Zermatt and Interlaken before taking train to Paris from Geneva. We are also thinking to rent a car to go around. Can I have some opinion/advice on this itinerary? Any tips are also welcome as this is our first Europe trip and with a baby as well.

Thank you!

Arno
Arno
14080 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:48 PM in reply to Mncnath

Hi Mncnath,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You can best post your questions in a new thread for more and better responses. A few tips to get started:

Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
14 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:04 PM in reply to Arno

I want to keep my other options open and want my 9 day trip to be flexible . Do I have to reserve hostels before hand or I can just walk in on that day?

Mncnath
Mncnath
8 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:17 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the tips! I will create a new post and start from there. :)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019