Where to spend the night before Bernina Express?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
JDub
JDub
5 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 4:03 PM

We are spending a week in Bologna and then leaving there to take the Bernina Express. We actually have reservations to stay in Bologna but decided it would be impossible to leave from there to get to Tirano and then take the Bernina and arrive in Lucerne all in one day. So our new plan is to find somewhere else (even though we will lose the cost of our hotel in Bologna) closer to the start of that route to spend the night. Where should we stay the night before getting on the Bernina Express? I understand the route starts at Tirano but I didn't know if there might be a more charming town to stay in the night prior to departure or if we should stay in Lugano and take the bus portion of the trip to Tirano. Please help. We leave next Wednesday. (I hope this makes sense.)

Arno
Arno
13661 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2019 - 6:08 PM

Hi Jdub,

Lugano is a very nice town and area to stay for a night (or more): www.myswissalps.com/lu gano (hotel suggestions on this page too).

1960man
1960man
1885 posts
top member
Jun 12, 2019 - 11:52 PM in reply to JDub

Tirano is a very historic town so counts as 'charming'. Hotels much cheaper than Lugano too!

rockoyster
rockoyster
6746 posts
expert
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:53 AM in reply to JDub

Lugano is great but you will need reservations on the bus (which doesn't appeal to some people).

Varenna on eastern shores of Lake Como is an option.

JDub
JDub
5 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 5:58 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you for your replies. Can I get on the train at Varenna to Tirano?

Arno
Arno
13661 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 6:29 PM

Sure, no problem. Please see the timetable: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019