Cable car from Mürren to Stechelberg on 6 December

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
andreasl
andreasl
8 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 12:05 PM

I will be in Murren on 6 December 2019.

I read online that:

"Services on the Mürren – Schilthorn route will not run due to maintenance work from 23. – 26.04.2019 and from 11.11. – 06.12.2019.

There will be limited service on the Stechelberg – Gimmelwald – Mürren route. If demand is heavy, connections cannot be guaranteed."

Does this mean that the Murren - Gimmelwald - Stechelberg route is still working on 6 December 2019? But the route is limited service? How limited is the service? There is still cableway from Murren to Stechelberg on 6/12/2019 but with less frequency? How many times a day will there be Cableway from Murren to Stechelberg on 6 December 2019 (the last day of the Murren - Schilthorn maintenance)?

Thank you :).

Anna
Anna
184 posts
active member &
Oct 4, 2019 - 12:55 PM in reply to andreasl

Hi andreasl,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The information is correct. Between 11 November and 6 December, 2019, the cableway servicing Stechelberg - Mürren is not operational due to maintenance. During this period, you may use the cableway and railway combo of Grütschalp - Mürren. The base station is located across the road from the Lauterbrunnen train station.

For your information, Mürren is accessible all year. It is a real mountain village and people really do live here. The only way to get there is by cable car or the railway train, and if one is closed for maintenance, the other has to be operational.

For more details:
www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/travel

Be sure to check the timetable for exact time of departures and arrivals www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Enjoy your trip!

Anna

JaneEB
JaneEB
109 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 2:46 PM in reply to Anna

Hi Anna

When I checked the timetable on the SBB mobile app during the maintenance period it is still showing that the cable car is running from Stechelberg to Murren and I could even buy tickets. It is only showing the cable car from Murren to the Schilthorn is not in service.

Is this correct?

Jane

andreasl
andreasl
8 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 3:35 PM

Thank you Anna and Jane. This website is the most helpful one regarding Switzerland tourism.

Yes, I too, am confused. I just received an email from Schilthorn cable car regarding Stechelberg-Murren cable car during the Schilthorn maintenance period. This email said:

"During maintenance work the cable car is running every 30 minutes between Stechelberg and Mürren.

Depending how fast they are, on the last day (6 December 2019), possible, that we are back to normal already, that means, the regular cable car is already running between Stechelberg - Gimmelwald and Mürren.

If not- there are connections to Gimmelwald by bus from Mürren.

The information about this 6th of December you will have directly at the stations."

So I'm confused. So there are two types of cable car from Murren to Stechelberg, one goes directly from Murren-Stechelberg (will still be working during maintenance), and another from Murren - Gimmelwald - Stechelberg (will not be working during maintenance)?

JaneEB
JaneEB
109 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 3:55 PM in reply to andreasl

Hi andreasl

I have just remembered I have seen a second cable car at Stechelberg. It goes direct to Murren, but I have never worked out if it is in service when we are there, usually in the summer, or even if it is used by tourists.

I am guessing that the second cable car is still in service when the cable car from Stechelberg to Murren via Gimmelwald, is under maintenance from 11.11.19 to 6.12.19. as the time table is showing a direct route from Stechelberg to Murren.

Jane

Anna
Anna
184 posts
active member &
Oct 4, 2019 - 4:00 PM in reply to andreasl

Hi andreasl,

It seems that during maintenance work, the Schilthornbahn may still be operational but with very limited services. The Stechelberg - Gimmelwald leg of the journey may be running but not Gimmelwald - Mürren. So perhaps for the second half of the trip you may have to take a bus.

It's a good idea to send a quick email to the cable car operators. Please do check directly with them for the latest timetable. The information that we have is what they have provided with us at the time of printing.

Anna

JaneEB
JaneEB
109 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 4:55 PM in reply to Anna

Hi Anna

From reading the email from the Schilthorn cable car operators to Andreasl it looks like the cable car that goes direct from Stechelberg to Mürren is still running whilst the second cable car - Stechelberg to Mürren via Gimmelwald is closed for maintenance. Anyone wanting to go to Gimmelwald need to catch the direct cable car to Mürren from Stechelberg and then catch the bus that has been provided back to Gimmelwald.

I had forgotten that there are two cable cars routes from Stechelberg to Mürren.

Jane

andreasl
andreasl
8 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 5:30 PM

Dear Jane and Anna,

Yes, Jane, that was what I understood from the Schilthorn operator. I have emailed the Schilthorn operator again to confirm what they meant, and hopefully they'll answer on Monday.

However, from another Jungfrau website, their customer service replied differently:

"Mürren can be reached from Lauterbrunnen through two ways :

- By cableway to Grütschalp and from there by cogwheel train to Mürren

- By post bus to Stechelberg and from there by cableway via Grimmelwald to Mürren.

Please note that the transportation will be closed due to maintenance work on the following dates:

- Way through Grütschalp 21 October until 8 November 2019

- Way through Stechelberg 11 November until 6 December 2019."

I then replied to Jungfrau operator:

"Which one is closed? Cableway from Murren to Grimmelwald, or cableway from Grimmelwald to Stechelberg, or both?

We plan to go down from Murren to Stechelberg with cableway, so then we can walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen station.

So, with this plan, how can we walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen station if the Murren-Stechelberg cableway is closed?"

They replied:

"Well in this case you would need to use the cable way to Grütschalp and from there the train to Mürren as the other way is closed.

These are the only two ways from Mürren to Lauterbrunnen. To walk the trail from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen you would need to take the post bus to Stechelberg during this time."

I kind of hope that the Schilthorn operator was correct and there is a cable car from Murren to Stechelberg.

The www.sbb.ch/en website has also showed that there are cable cars from Murren to Stechelberg during the Schilthorn maintenance period 11/11 to 6/12/2019 but there isn't any cable car from Murren to Schilthorn.

Regards,

Andreas

Anna
Anna
184 posts
active member &
Oct 5, 2019 - 2:14 AM

Hi andreasl and JaneEB,

Thank you for the information and updates.

So just to reconfirm again, if you are going to Mürren between 11 Nov and 6 Dec, please use the cableway from Grütschalp. The Schilthornbahn (Stechelberg - Gimmelwald - Mürren) will not be operational during this period due to maintenance.

www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/travel

Anna

Last modified on Oct 5, 2019 - 4:48 PM by Anna
andreasl
andreasl
8 posts
Oct 5, 2019 - 7:56 AM

Hi Anna & Jane,

Good news!

I received a reply from the Schilthorn Cable Car operator:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

You are correct. The cable car from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald to Mürren is out of service during the maintenance weeks. During that time we are using our Service Cable car (usually used for the transportation of goods etc.) as our main cable car. It runs directly from Stechelberg to Mürren. In addition, we are offering a shuttle service from Mürren to Gimmelwald (a small bus)."

It seems that this is new in town :).

I look forward to trying that in December :).

Thank you a lot. This will be my first time in Switzerland, and I would like to share information to fellow travellers too on this website someday.

To a greener Earth!

Best,

Andreas

Anna
Anna
184 posts
active member &
Oct 5, 2019 - 8:59 AM

Great news Andreas!

Enjoy your trip, and when you have time, tell us about it :)

Anna

JaneEB
JaneEB
109 posts
Oct 5, 2019 - 9:33 AM in reply to andreasl

Hi Andreas

I am pleased that this has been sorted out. I did find the following in a thread posted on this forum some years ago, but you managed to find the answer before I had time to post it.

'There is a gondola directly from Stechelberg to Murren, but is now only used for delivering goods for the town or when the Schilthorn gondola is out of service'.

Whilst looking for information on the cable car I found the following proposal. schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles /medienmitteilungen/18 0914_schilthornbahn_sc hilthorn20xx_erstinfor mation_en.pdf .

Enjoy your trip.

Jane

andreasl
andreasl
8 posts
Oct 5, 2019 - 6:41 PM

Hi Anna. I would love to share how the cable car goes on December, if this thread wouldn't be closed by then. I'd love to share other things about my upcoming trips too, this won't be my last trip to Switzerland!

Hi Jane, I really hope the direct gondola works. This is my and my family's first time in Switzerland. I will return again in the summer for some hiking with friends.

Thank you Anna & Jane.

Suzanne
Suzanne
124 posts
active member &
Oct 6, 2019 - 9:47 AM

Hello andreasl,

Please do post on MySwissAlps for all the wonderful things you experienced in Switzerland; especially how the cable car goes in December. We would love to read your personal experiences in Switzerland!

Happy travels!

Best regards,

Suzanne

andreasl
andreasl
8 posts
Oct 6, 2019 - 11:00 AM

Hi Suzanne!

I will. I'm a detailed planner, I'll certainly share my experience :).

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019