Recommended cable car near Lugano

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
cvilardi
cvilardi
4 posts
May 18, 2018 - 11:47 PM

I will be taking a three-day trip to Lugano at the end of June. I would like to visit a mountain that uses a cable car to reach its summit. I don't mind traveling an hour or two from Lugano on a scenic train. Any suggestions?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6272 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 12:12 AM in reply to cvilardi

Hi cvlardi -

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

This map will help you find Mountain Transport of all kinds:

Zoom in on Lugano:

map.search.ch/?pos=717664,96448&z=64& poi=bergbahn

Under "Points of Interest" in the Menu, turn on traffic then select Mountain Transport.

Mouse over the icons for a name, and then use it to check the timetable or the internet.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

An hour or two on train can take you quite a distance from Lugano. You could get to Brunnen, for example, to the Urniberg Seilbahn, in 2 hours and 4 minutes.

However, you might check some of the mountain railways that show on that mapbnear Lugano, if you do not insist on a cable car.

Slowpoke

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 19, 2018 - 12:59 AM in reply to cvilardi

Hi cvilardi,

There is a list of cable cars and funiculars in the Ticino region here. In Lugano there are only 2 funiculars up the local mountains and no cable cars that I am aware of.

Arno
Arno
13518 posts
expert &
May 20, 2018 - 9:16 AM

Hi Cvilardi,

I'm not sure if you count gondolas as a cable car? It's basically a series of small cable cars. There is a nice long route from Rivera-Bironico up to Alpe Foppa (or more commonly called Monte Tamaro).

There is also a cable car from Locarno to Cimetta. Actually there is 3 modes of transport involved: funicular - cable car - chair lift.

Both places are very easy to reach by train. Rivera-Bironico direct from Lugano, and Locarno is one change in most cases. I'll attach a picture of each peak.

Last modified on May 20, 2018 - 9:17 AM by Arno
Please login to see the attached documents
cvilardi
cvilardi
4 posts
May 20, 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions. I will do more research to see which fits best with my schedule. Thank you again!

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 21, 2018 - 4:51 AM in reply to Arno

Great photos! Thanks Arno.

Alpenrose

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019