Bernina Express day trip by car from Milan

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 23, 2019 - 9:37 PM

Hi, we are travelling to Italy in September, my question is if we drive to Chur to travel the Bernina Express to St Moritz is there somewhere we can park our car for the day, also the cost for this. Also is there anything else that anyone could suggest such as road fees etc.. Many thanks.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6596 posts
expert
May 23, 2019 - 10:59 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi Pamdykhoff-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I don't personally know enough about Chur to give you a precise answer, but this map shows places to park:

map.search.ch/?pos=760436,191728&z=12 8&poi=parking

From that, perhaps a web search for "Parking in Chur" will connect you with the specifics of those places.

Google Maps often helps with that kind of problem, as well.

Slowpoke

1960man
1960man
2038 posts
top member
May 23, 2019 - 11:05 PM in reply to Removed user

There is plenty of car parking in Chur.

However, you don't travel on the Bernina Express to go from Chur to St Moritz. There is a regular train every hour throughout the day on the route, which is the famous Unesco-World-Heritage-listed Albula Railway.

1960man
1960man
2038 posts
top member
May 23, 2019 - 11:07 PM in reply to Removed user

We can't answer any questions about 'road fees' etc as you haven't told us anything about your itinerary or circumstances

Last modified on May 23, 2019 - 11:07 PM by 1960man
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6596 posts
expert
May 23, 2019 - 11:18 PM in reply to 1960man

Hi 1960man -

<<"We can't answer any questions about 'road fees' etc as you haven't told us anything about your itinerary or circumstances">>

You noticed that too? ;-)

That's why I only addressed the problem about parking. ;-)

I shall note that cars crossing the border that wish to use the main roads need a "vignette" or "carnet" for travel on those roads. 40 CHF,, if I recall correctly.

Slowpoke

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 24, 2019 - 2:17 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you so much,someone said have to pay road fees we are travelling in September this year, wanting to do scenic train trip from Milan to St Moritz, but use our rental car if this is quicker.
We are doing day trip.
Cheers

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 24, 2019 - 2:20 AM in reply to 1960man

Thanks for info
I thought Bernina Express left from Chur

Arno
Arno
13973 posts
expert &
May 24, 2019 - 6:38 AM

Hi Pamdykhoff,

You'll find the Bernina Express route description and a map here: www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere.

I would leave the car in Milan, take the train to Tirano and take the train to St. Moritz from there. Then back the same way or possibly by bus to Lugano, then train to Milan. It will be a long day!

Last modified on May 24, 2019 - 7:22 AM by Arno
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 24, 2019 - 7:18 AM in reply to Arno

Hi there, thank you so much.
Appreciated

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019