Diving rental car out of Switzerland and back

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Thebowser5
Thebowser5
7 posts
May 31, 2019 - 8:52 PM

Hello!

We will be renting a car in Zurich and driving to parts of Germany and Austria (Neuschwanstein Castle and Salzburg), returning the car to the original rental location in Zurich after several days. I understand that rental cars in Switzerland come with a vignette for Switzerland, but what about Germany and Austria? Do we need other vignettes there? Can we just get them at the borders? What is the cost for those? Any other tips about driving rental cars in these areas that a newbie might not know?

Thanks!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6855 posts
expert
May 31, 2019 - 9:37 PM in reply to Thebowser5

HI the Bowser5 -

Enjoy your trip! I always wanted to see Neuschwanstein, but never got there. Been to Salzburg a couple of times. My personal reaction... I'd rather be in Switzerland. To each his own, of course.

Just make sure that, if you are using insurances from a car rental company, or AMEX/VISA, etc, that they are good in all countries that you visit.. Sometimes, Italy is an issue....

Slowpoke

Peterli
Peterli
886 posts
top member
Jun 1, 2019 - 2:42 AM in reply to Thebowser5

Hello,

If you are renting your car in Switzerland, it should already have a Vignette up at the top of the front windscreen. You will not need a Vignette to drive in Germany. In Austria you will need one. There is one for 9.20 Euro which is valid for 10 days. There is also a 2 month one for 26.80 Euro and one good for a year for 89.30 Euro. As in Switzerland, the yearly one is actually good for 13 months. Since late 2017 there have also been "e-vignettes" but these are not that practical for tourists arriving in a rental car. These digital vignettes are linked to the car's license plate, so that control cameras and the police can scan the license plate to see if the car is rolling with a legitimate digital vignette. Buy your Austrian Vignette before you cross the border as there are fines (120 Euro) for driving without one and the Polizei are vigilant.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019