Family trip - 5 nights in Wengen - July

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Elsa
Elsa
1 post
Jun 10, 2019 - 4:14 AM

Hello,

First, thank you to all who contribute to this site. It has been an amazing resource while planning our trip.

We will be spending 4 nights in Lucerne and then heading to Wengen in July. We will have the Swiss Half Fare Card with the Swiss Family Card for our kids, who are 9 and 12. We are considering also getting the Jungfrau Travel Pass.

I’d love some feedback on the mountain portion of our trip. We will switch the order up based on the weather, but does what we have planned to do within a day sound reasonable? Our kids can handle easy to moderate hikes of about 2 – 2 1/2 hours before needing a break. We’d really like to experience the beauty of the area without making the days seem overbooked and rushed. Are Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch different enough so we should do both? Would you recommend anything else for families with kids of this age?

Day 1 –Take the Golden Pass Panoramic Train from Lucerne to Interlaken and onward to Wengen. Do the Royal Walk and enjoy the Mannlichen playground, and, if we have time, we will walk the Panorama Trail to Kleine Scheidegg.

Day 2 – Take train to Lauterbrunnen and get on bus to Trümmelbachfälle. After visiting the falls, continue on to Stechelberg and take the cable car up to Schilthorn. On the way down, we will stop in Murren and take the funicular to Allmenhubel, enjoy the flower park playground and hike the Children’s Adventure Trail.

Day 3 – Take cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen and then travel to Grindelwald and take cable car to First.Hike around Bachalpsee and either hike or ride to Bort to ride the Trotti bikes.

Day 4 – Jungfraujoch in the morning

Day 5 – Take the train to Wilderswil and hike the Schynige Platte Panorama Trail. We would also like to see the alpine gardens.

Day 6 – Depart for Paris.We have our Basel-Paris tickets booked, but are assuming we can buy last minute tickets from Wengen – Basel.

Thank you for your help!

Steph
Steph
1918 posts
top member &
Jun 10, 2019 - 11:22 AM in reply to Elsa

Hello Elsa and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Thanks a lot for the nice words about the forum, we're happy we're able to provide helpful input!

Your itinerary sounds very nice and well paced, however it's very individual what is an acceptable day and how much traveling is fine so I suggest you use the timetable below to work out connections and traveling times for each day. Make sure you read how the timetable works, it's a wonderful tool for planning.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Find helpful information about the rail passes as well as on the destinations and hikes you mention below:
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard
- www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard
- www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass

Day 1
- www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass, runs from Lucerne to Interlaken, then local trains
- www.myswissalps.com/we ngen
- muerren.swiss/en/winte r/tracks/maennlichen-maennlichengipfel-royal-walk-1/

Day 2
- www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

Day 3
- www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bachsee

Day 4
- www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

Day5
- www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte
- www.myswissalps.com/hi king/schynigeplatte

Day6
Yes, you can buy them anytime in Wengen or online at:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare

Happy planning but above all enjoy your trip. We're here for any further support needed.

Best,
Steph

Also see:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

Last modified on Jun 10, 2019 - 11:25 AM by Steph
Mark
Mark
404 posts
top member
Jun 10, 2019 - 11:22 AM

Hi Elsa

Your itinerary looks fine to me. Here are a few comments.

It is certainly convenient to have the Jungfrau Travel pass especially for using cable cars. If you have the 5 day pass it will cover the boat rides on the Interlaken lakes which your children might enjoy as a little variety. It could be a good choice on an overcast day.

Personally I have avoided Jungfraujoch as it is very commercial and often quite crowded. but it is very popular for a reason and your children may enjoy the snow.

Day 1. I would especially try to hike the trail from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. It is very scenic and relatively flat with lots of photo ops.

Day 3. Normally you could travel by cable car from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund but I believe the cable cars are closed for construction and you will need to take the bus to Grindelwald. Unless your children are especially eager to end your hike I would encourage you to hike from Bachalpsee to Waldspitz and Bort. It is easy,downhill,very scenic,much less crowded, and you don’t have to backtrack.

Day 5. On the Panaramaweg trail you will pass a large rock tower called Oberberghorn (a sign is posted). It is a very short detour with wooden steps that wind up to a lookout on top. I would think your kids might like it.

Enjoy your trip. Mark

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019