14 days with Swiss Travel Pass, Half Fare or other

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
one4islands
one4islands
11 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:42 PM

We are 9 days away from our Switzerland trip and I have come up with this itinerary (posted below), hoping weather cooperates for all of our mountain trips. Once again I've spent hours calculating, very carefully this time around, using the SBB site at the HFC rate, making sure app was set to 2nd class, not first class and verifying STP rates on the area of validity map along with individual attraction websites.

We are a party of two, myself and 25 year old daughter, who qualifies for the Youth STP visiting for 14 days. Doing the math, the two 15 day STP (513CHF/439CHF) and additional travel expenses not fully covered (754CHF) added up to a total of 1706CHF.

The two HFC cards (120x2=240CHF) and additional travel expenses (1843CHF) added up to a total of 2083CHF.

That is a 377CHF difference between the two.

In the past I briefly looked at the other regional passes, but after coming up with these calculations last night I looked further into the Berner Oberland Regional Pass. It does include the area we will be in for the first 10 days, free/discounted travel, free/discounted admission fees to many of the things we will be doing. So, now it seems that I should to do the math for our first 10 days to see if this pass would work with another pass. I know it's impossible to have a list of everything and what is covered at what percentage, however, the map of validity for the BORP is far easier to read than the much larger, extensive STP map of validity. I almost think that having one pass, the STP even if it means paying more, may be easier to use than trying to figure out which pass I need to have for which trip. I'm sure it's easier than my brain is allowing me to think it is at this moment. I would appreciate feedback once again and thank you in advance.

DAY 1 - ARRIVAL GENEVA TRAIN TO WENGEN VIA BERN

DAY 2- WENGEN TO JUNGFRAUJOCH/KLEIN SCHEIDEGG-MANNLICHEN/ROYAL WALK

DAY 3-WENGEN TO FIRST (ALL ACTIVITIES THERE) MT. CARTS/PFINGSTEGG TOBOGGAN/FIRST TO LAKE BACHALPSEE AND RETURN

DAY 4-WENGEN TO SCHILTHORN/MURREN/STECHLEBERG/GIMMELWALD

/GRUTSCHALPH/TRUMMELBACH FALLS

DAY 5- WENGEN TO LAKE THUN OBERHOFEN & THUN CASTLES/ISELTWALD/HARDER KULM

DAY 6- WENGEN TO KANDERSTEG TO LAKE OESCHINENSEE (TOBOGGAN RIDE)/LAKE BLAUSEE NATURE PARK

DAY 7- WENGEN TO AARE GORGE/AARE GORGE TO LUCERNE HOTEL/WALK CITY OF LUCERNE

DAY 8- LUCERNE TO MT. TITLIS/AFTERNOON AT STANSERHORN/EVENING CITY OF LUCERNE

DAY 9- LUCERNE TO MT. PILATUS/AFTERNOON BOAT TO HAMMETSCHWAND

DAY 10- LUCERNE TO LUGANO VIA BELLINZONA (?LOCARNO OR ASCONA INSTEAD)

DAY 11- LUCERNE TO ST. GALLEN/ST. GALLEN TO ZURICH HOTEL/EVENING EXPLORING ZURICH

DAY 12- ZURICH TO STEIN AM RHEIN/BOAT TO SCHAFFHAUSEN/RHINE FALLS/TRAIN BACK TO ZURICH

DAY 13- ZURICH TO BASEL/ BASEL CITY EXPLORING

DAY 14-BASEL TO AIRPORT FOR DEPARTURE BACK HOME

Annika
Annika
6025 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:15 PM

Hi one4islands! No worries, it's not your brains :-). Finding out which pass is best can be a challenge for all of us. And detailed calculations are the only way to make sure which option is most economical.

According to your calculations, the Swiss Travel Pass (myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass) is obviously a better choice than the Swiss Half Fare Card. And yes, it is easy to just have one pass for all trips and to enjoy ticketless traveling in trains, buses and boats.

I understand you're considering a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (myswissalps.com/region alpassberneseoberland) for your stay in Wengen, as it provides good coverage for the trips you'll be making during day 1-7. On the other hand, you'll still have to pay extra for some of the trips, such as Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. And to make things even more complicated: Schilthorn is free with a Swiss Travel Pass, but not with a Regional-Pass.

I'm sorry to inform you that you'd have to make new calculations to see whether a Regional-Pass for the first part of your stay, plus another option for the second part, would be better than just a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. If that's too big a task, I'd simply go with the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. To be honest you can't go wrong with this choice, given your itinerary.

Arno
Arno
13990 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:16 PM

Hi One4islands,

I agree with Annika. The 15-day Swiss Travel Pass (one adults, one youth), makes absolute sense with your itinerary. There are too many trips not in the Bernese Oberland to consider the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. The combination of Swiss Half Fare Card plus (discounted) Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland could theoretically work. But I wouldn't bother with more calculations to be honest. The Swiss Travel Pass makes sense, and offers the added benefit of free museums entrance, and the option to do day trips to other regions should the weather not cooperate.

Do check prices and promotions, you might be able to savea bit more:

Last modified on Jun 13, 2019 - 3:17 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019