Glacier/Bernina Express inexpensive midpoint hotel

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Linamary69
Linamary69
7 posts
May 28, 2019 - 9:32 PM

September: We are traveling from Zermatt on Glacier Express (or it's free counterpart) on day 1, staying overnight and then traveling Bernina Express. St Moritz was my original plan for the overnight, but the lodging is so expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation for another town we could stay overnight... keeping in mind that we need to catch the Bernina Express Bus in Tirano at 2:20 on day 2 to get to Lugano for our overnight (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

I found cheaper accommodations in Lenzerheide, but after mapping it, I'm unsure about the travel time on day 2 to Tirano. We will have luggage so we need to be near some sort of station. We go to bed by 9 so we don't need tons of nightly activities, just a town with a nice place for dinner (we like food!) and a bed.

Thank you!

OLDIE
OLDIE
40 posts
May 29, 2019 - 4:19 AM in reply to Linamary69

Hi

same trip - almost by us in sept.- we booked early and got good rates at Hotel Steffani - Hauser Hotel is also good. don't know the current rates, but they do run specials on small what they call "chic" rooms

good luck

Arno
Arno
13533 posts
expert &
May 29, 2019 - 7:03 AM

Hi Linamary69,

Oldie gave you some good options, and you may want to look into the suggestions here as well: www.myswissalps.com/st moritz/hotels.

I would not stay in Lenzerheide for one night. It is off the Glacier/Bernina Express lines, and there is no train station, making the trip longer than necessary.

A few more options:

Linamary69
Linamary69
7 posts
May 29, 2019 - 12:18 PM

Thank you! Pontresina Youth Hostel seems like a great choice. Reviewers raved over breakfast and it seems having breakfast included in Swiss hotels is not the norm. Double win!

Arno
Arno
13533 posts
expert &
May 29, 2019 - 1:15 PM

I'm glad you found what you needed! Breakfast included is the norm, but perhaps in recent years they found that there's more demand for low rates without breakfast.

Enjoy your trip!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019