Gotthard Panorama Express vs regular 2 hour train

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
carolynaus
carolynaus
3 posts
Jun 5, 2019 - 6:39 PM

I'd love a recommendation as to whether it is worth us taking the Gotthard Panorama Express train.

My family of 2 adults and 2 children (age 13 and 11) will be traveling by train 5 hours from the Dolomites in Italy to Lugano. We then have 2 nights in Lugano, before traveling to Lucerne for a night, then onto Murren for a few nights, then Zermatt.

Since we have a lot of train travel already, I am wondering whether it is worth us taking the Gotthard Panorama Express train/boat from Lugano to Lucerne, which takes just over 5 hours, or whether we are better off catching the direct 2 hour train to Lucerne. This way we would have more time to explore Lucerne, and could do a short boat ride on Lake Lugano and/or Lake Lucerne.

I'd love your opinion please. Is the Gotthard Panorama Express too good to be missed?

rockoyster
rockoyster
6615 posts
expert
Jun 5, 2019 - 9:10 PM in reply to carolynaus

I'd love your opinion please. Is the Gotthard Panorama Express too good to be missed?

That’s really a trade-off decision only you can make. I thought the boat trip was great. The train leg, less so, but by that stage we already had done the Glacier and Bernina Express routes so suspect we were becoming a bit blasé. See trip report at bit.ly/2lOio0g.

The actual Gotthard Panorama Express is 1st Class only and requires reservations. You can follow the same route on regular trains and drop the boat leg if you want a compromise. In that case go Lugano to Luzern via Göschenen instead of heading to Flüelen to connect with the paddle steamer.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019