Hiking around Zermatt and Brienz 13 to 20 June

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Simon Arch
Simon Arch
5 posts
May 30, 2019 - 3:37 AM

Hi - coming to Switzerland for first time in June. Hoping to do some mountain hikes. Will most trails be open around Zermatt Eg 5 Lakes in mid June? And around Brienzer Rothorn?

thanks. Simon

1960man
1960man
2137 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 11:17 PM in reply to Simon Arch

Should be, although there has been some unusual late heavy snow this year. Zermatt reopened some skiing that would normally have closed for the summer

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6732 posts
expert
May 31, 2019 - 12:48 AM in reply to Simon Arch

Hi Simon -

<<"Zermatt reopened some skiing that would normally have closed for the summer">>

That does not augur well for good hiking......

Rule of thumb.......at or above 2000 meters, trails don't open for hiking until late June. That means after the 15th. Might work for you.

Spend some time with webcams and local tourist offices.

Vague memories recall a website for the 5 lakes with an opening date....search the internet.

This map will give you altitudes:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=5&E=26 45610.00&N=1182180.00

and:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=6&E=26 24183.47&N=1097111.59

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 31, 2019 - 12:49 AM by Slowpoke
Mark
Mark
398 posts
top member
May 31, 2019 - 3:08 AM

Hi Simon

As I recall the 5 lakes hike is mostly mid mountain and if so it has a good chance of being open. Another option is Zermatt to Zmutt which is a restored old Swiss town with nice views of the Matterhorn as you hike along the trail. It is along the valley floor and should be clear of snow. From Zmutt you can continue on to Riffelalp and return by train to Zermatt or return from Zmutt directly to Zermatt by cable car after a short 20 min walk from Zmutt.

We also enjoyed the hike from Riffelalp to Riffelsee which is also mostly lower to mid mountain with good Matterhorn views.

Still it’s impossible to predict if these trails will be passable for sure. I would expect the local tourist office would be able to give a reliable report of trail conditions when you arrive. Your hotel concierge may be very helpful as well in advising you on which hikes are doable.

Mark

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6732 posts
expert
May 31, 2019 - 7:03 AM in reply to Mark

Hi Mark-

This website has all the details:

www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Planning-hikes-tours/5-Seenweg :

<<"Lowest point2124 m

Highest point2578 m">>

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 31, 2019 - 7:04 AM by Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6732 posts
expert
May 31, 2019 - 7:08 AM in reply to Simon Arch

HI Simon-

I found the website that I was thinking of:

www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Planning-hikes-tours/5-Seenweg

It notes that the recommended times are from June to September. There are lots of details.

At the upper left of the first page, there is an indication of "open" or "closed"

status.

It is currently closed.

Slowpoke

Mark
Mark
398 posts
top member
May 31, 2019 - 11:31 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke

Thanks, good to know.

I went back and looked at my hiking map I used to hike to Hidden Valley. We passed Mosjisee, Grindisee, and Grunsee and they seemed more or less mid mountain as we were looking up toward Fluhalp and Rothorn. But Zermatt is exceptionally high and it looks like almost everything on my map is 2000 meters or higher.

I would opine that June is a cruel month for mountain hikers. It can tease you with some warm weather but not quite consistently enough to reliably clear the higher trails. Hopefully Simon will have good luck with the weather but I would recommend he check out the Zmutt hike as well.

Mark

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6732 posts
expert
May 31, 2019 - 12:08 PM in reply to Mark

Hi Mark -

<<"I would opine that June is a cruel month for mountain hikers.">>

Many, many years ago, when there was some kind of date based complexity with using frequent flyer miles on Swiss Air, we would go over in June. At the end of that month, the wildflowers would be spectacular. But, in mid-June, once we ran into 2 meter high snow on the trail as it left Kleine Scheidegg for Männlichen. And, once we had two weeks of solid rain everywhere but in the Ticino.

So, these days, late May and early June is reserved for the Mittelland....the Emmental, Dreiseenland, Luzern, the Bodensee........and, the Alps get early September.

One June we did fit in a climb to Chinzig Kulm, following Suvorov's route. Took the cableway from Bürglen, then climbed. Free of other tourist, and some nice views down to the Muotathal and the Uri Alps.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019