Hiking options in early May near Brienz

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jackie
Jackie
13 posts
Dec 26, 2018 - 9:13 PM

Will there be any trails above the lakes this early? We will be arriving in Zurich from the US May 7th or so. I think 2-3 days there before heading to Brienz with 3-4 days there before going to Geneva. We are senior citizens with hiking experience in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, but neither are in our finest condition. 6-miles - 10K is a reasonable destination with less than 1000ft/300m elevation gain/loss.

Any recommendations for the other areas would be appreciated as well.

Lodging recommendations appreciated for Zurich and Brienz areas. Nice, clean, private, en suite, but not too expensive.

We're open to traveling by train, bus and foot.

Thanking you in advance.

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
Dec 27, 2018 - 7:44 AM in reply to Jackie

Hi Jackie and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have just a couple of hiking recommendations around Brienz noted here: www.myswissalps.com/br ienz/activities

But there are a lot of options in the general area (Jungfrau region) www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s - depending on how far you are interested in traveling from Brienz.

It could be a little hit and miss for hiking trails in early May. As long as the elevation isn't too high (say 1500 meters and lower) it should be clear of snow - always best to check with the local tourist information office for current conditions.

We have a link for the Swiss railways timetable here to help you plan out all train, bus, boat or cable car trips as well: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

For train travel on your holiday a Swiss rail pass of some sort is worth looking into to help save money: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

For our hotel suggestions in Zurich and Brienz, have a look on the below links:

Mageo
Mageo
46 posts
Dec 27, 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hello Jackie,

We stayed at Fluhmanns bnb at Brienz, quite a few years ago. Looks like it is still operational. We enjoyed our stay there - clean, not expensive by Swiss standards, comfortable, convenient location & very helpful hostess, Frau Rosemarie Fluhmann Details are on the Switzerland BnB site Email: fluehmann.pension@blue win.ch

Mageo

Jackie
Jackie
13 posts
Dec 27, 2018 - 4:04 PM in reply to Mageo

Thank you. It looks like they do not have room during our dates but I appreciate your recommendation. BTW, the link does not have English but I was able to just copy & paste the name into my browser.

Jackie
Jackie
13 posts
Dec 27, 2018 - 4:05 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas. I will check out these links.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6796 posts
expert
Dec 28, 2018 - 1:06 AM in reply to Jackie

I think you would be better off near Luzern, based on your interests and the time of year.

Altitude is everything. anything over 1500 meters is,optimistic, to say the least.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&X=205432.73 &Y=677886.37&zoom=4

www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Blue trails are technical climbing.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019