How to get back into Switzerland from Tirano

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
PollyLolly
PollyLolly
7 posts
May 20, 2019 - 11:37 AM

Hi

I'm looking doing at the Bernina Express in winter from Chur to Tirano. Once it ends in Tirano we will need to make our way back into Switzerland.

Can you clever people suggest any ways that don't repeat too much of the route the train has just used to come in? I'm trying to end up somewhere back in Switzerland that is scenic, with good connections in/out.

I hope my question makes sense.

Thank you.

Polly

rockoyster
rockoyster
7168 posts
expert
May 20, 2019 - 9:24 PM in reply to PollyLolly

Hello Polly and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can either return the way you came or continue to Lugano on the Bernina Express Bus or take a train to Milan and go from there to Lugano or Zermatt. Bit hard to make sensible suggestions without knowing more about your overall itinerary and where you have already been or plan to continue on to.

Last modified on May 20, 2019 - 9:25 PM by rockoyster
1960man
1960man
1971 posts
top member
May 21, 2019 - 12:01 AM in reply to PollyLolly

Not really possible.

The Bernina railway runs down a narrow 'finger' of Swiss territory with high mountains either side

Going both ways on the Bernina is not boring - you will see different things from different angles, and it's much better not to stray outside Swiss territory so you can stay on the very efficient Swiss transport network.

PollyLolly
PollyLolly
7 posts
May 21, 2019 - 4:22 AM

Thank you.

The overall plan for Switzerland is unclear at this stage mainly because I got so stuck with this Tirano business. Your lovely replies at least confirm what I had suspected, that you either repeat the route back or route yourself through to Lugano by bus.

I'm thinking that in terms moving us across the country, while seeing scenery that we'd be better to do the Glacier Express from St Moritz so we finish in Zermatt.

Things to ponder!

Thank you so much

Blig
Blig
3 posts
May 21, 2019 - 10:07 AM in reply to PollyLolly

I agree with the continuation to Lugano. Stay overnight in Tirano at one of the Palazzo’s and go further the following day. Florence is very close too.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019