Interlaken-Jungfraujoch & scenic route to Milan

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Bret
Bret
4 posts
May 26, 2019 - 11:23 PM

Hi,

I am traveling from Lucerne to Interlaken. I plan to take Goldenpass line from Lucerne to Interlaken to have a scenic ride. My question is:

1). Are there near by places in Interlaken that i can visit (if i arrive early in Interlaken, say by early afternoon). Any cable rides or other scenic rides? Please suggest as i want to use the other half of the day in Interlaken.

2). The next day, i plan to go to Jungfraujoch. How many hours do i need to plan to go to Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe) and then come back (assuming that i leave in the morning)?

3). What other scenic rides can you suggest if i return back from Jungfraujoch in the late afternoon or so?

4). I will have one more day in Switzerland before i go to Milan @ Italy. Where would you suggest? Should i take Bernie express? or do you suggest Zermatt visit? There are lots of forum discussions on different routes to go to Milan so what would you suggest? I want to make sure that i take some scenic trips and then arrive to Milan but need your detailed answer/guidance here.

Thank you!

1960man
1960man
2038 posts
top member
May 27, 2019 - 12:02 AM in reply to Bret

First of all, ignore the phrase GoldenPass in this instance.

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The the true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen - Montreux).

The Luzern - Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains "Luzern - Interlaken Express'.

Just take one of these trains and get off at Meiringen, for Aare gorge or Brienz for lake of Rothorn steam railway

Steph
Steph
1820 posts
top member &
May 27, 2019 - 7:27 AM in reply to Bret

Hi Bret,

Nice to hear you're coming along.

1) In addition to 1960mans suggestion you could also visit the Schynige Platte by Interlaken for example or take a boat ride on either of the lakes:
- www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte
- www.myswissalps.com/la kethun
- www.myswissalps.com/la kebrienz

2+3) It takes around 2 hours to get from Interlaken to the Jungfraujoch and similar time back, depending on which route you choose. In addition I assume you will want to enjoy the activities and views from the top, so some additional time there.
- www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch
As you climb to quite an altitude you might not feel like doing anything else that day, other from maybe breaking the journey in Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and visiting some places there. You can find input by typing them into the search bar of this page.

Also check
- www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

4) For information about trains to Milan and tickets input please use below link:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

5) I think adding the Bernina Express on your way to Milan starting in Interlaken might be a bit too much. Use the timetable to find out which connections are suggested and then see if you would like to break the journey somewhere on that route.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
- www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

Best,
Steph

Last modified on May 27, 2019 - 7:27 AM by Steph
Arno
Arno
13973 posts
expert &
May 27, 2019 - 8:53 AM

Hi Bret,

You asked those exact 4 questions in two other threads as well. That's not convenient for people trying to answer your questions, and not allowed according to the forum rules: www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules. I removed those threads.

If you're not happy with the answers, or need more information, then please let us know in this thread, rather than repeating the questions. Thanks!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019