Is the Eggishorn cable car open end of May?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jlewis0406
Jlewis0406
3 posts
May 21, 2019 - 12:12 AM

I will be arriving in Switzerland and staying in Eischoll from May 25 thru 28. My wife and I are planning on visiting Eggishorn from Fiesch cable car. Can someone tell me if the cable cars will be operating on those dates?

rockoyster
rockoyster
7634 posts
expert
May 21, 2019 - 6:00 AM in reply to Jlewis0406

Hello Jlewis and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The SBB timetable indicates it commences operation 8 June.

Arno
Arno
14103 posts
expert &
May 21, 2019 - 7:31 AM

Hi Jlewis0406,

Rockoyster is right. You can also check the opening dates on all our mountain pages, in your case here: www.myswissalps.com/eg gishorn/gettingthere.

Jlewis0406
Jlewis0406
3 posts
May 21, 2019 - 2:22 PM

Thank you. Are you aware of any cable cars operating during May 26th thru May 28th in the Aletsch Glacier area? We are hoping to get some views and possibly some hiking in.

PnBA
PnBA
51 posts
May 22, 2019 - 1:31 AM

Very helpful post! I was planning to do this on June 1, but obviously need to revise that. I see that the period of non-operation is mentioned on www.myswissalps.com/eg gishorn/gettingthere, and I just didn't see that.

Question for Rockoyster: how does the SBB timetable indicate that it commences operation 8 June?

All I get from SBB is "not available" on June 1, and a link to a page in German that says: "Fährt nicht täglich, 22. Mai bis 7. Jun 2019 täglich; 28. Okt bis 6. Dez 2019 täglich". No English version, but my rudimentary German tells me that it's just nicht täglich, which suggests that there days that it does operate during this period.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7634 posts
expert
May 22, 2019 - 2:53 AM in reply to PnBA

Hello PnBA,

Well, there is an English version of the SBB Timetable. Searching that for your chosen travel dat and finding not connection is a pretty good indication the service is not running. If you search for mid June you will see a note saying it runs daily from 8 June. The statement at www.myswissalps.com/eg gishorn/gettingthere is derived from the SBB Timetable.

Google (literally) translates "Fährt nicht täglich" to "Does not drive daily" or in other words not operating between the dates shown. Maybe it works better in German?

Last modified on May 22, 2019 - 3:03 AM by rockoyster
PnBA
PnBA
51 posts
May 22, 2019 - 3:18 AM

I was hoping you had a "God Mode" hack for SBB. I couldn't tolerate Win10 without it ...

rockoyster
rockoyster
7634 posts
expert
May 22, 2019 - 4:10 AM in reply to PnBA

Kein SBB Gott-Modus, ich fürchte. 😉

But for what it's worth I still tend to rely on the "legacy" timetable - fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en.

Last modified on May 22, 2019 - 4:11 AM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019