Family with toddler, 8 days Switzerland September

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 12:01 PM

Hi all,

We are family of 3 (me,wife and 2 years toddler) planning to visit Switzerland for 8 days from September 21st to 28th, this will be our first trip. We have experience in hill walks in UK, and would like to spend more time in mountains. I have booked accommodation for 3 nights in Sachseln and 4 nights in Lauterbrunnen. I will be flying from London and reaching Basel airport by 10:30 am on Sept 21st and flying back from Geneva on Sept 28th at 9:30 pm.

This is my 1st draft of itinerary, will looking for suggestions from the experienced members

1) Day 1 : After landing in Basel airport store the luggage at Lucerne station and city tour for half day. or check in to the accommodation and come back to Lucerne.

2) Day 2: Mt Titlis ( weather dependent), is it ok with 2 year toddler? We are interested in the activities like Glacier park and cave,Cliff walk and Ice Flyer.

3) Day 3: Stoos Ridge walk ( weather dependent). If the weather is not so good for ridge walk we might go all the way to Fronalpstock. I have still not quite decided on this, Other options are Either go to Mt Pilatus or Rigi. Any thoughts on choosing these 3 options?

4) Day 4: Check out from accommodation, go towards Lauterbrunnen. Stop at Meiringen and store the luggage and visit Aare Gorge and Reichenbach falls. Need some suggestion on this day. If the weather is nice i might go directly to Lauterbrunnen instead of stopping at Meiringen.

My rainy day alternative for the above days are

Swiss Museum of Transport

Hergiswil glass factory

5) Day 5: Männlichen - Kleine Scheidegg walk

6) Day 6: First - Bachsee walk

7) Day 7: Grütschalp -Allmendhubel - Mürren, optional cable car to schilthorn hill

My rainy day alternative for the above days are

Trümmelbachfälle and staubbach falls

Bern

Lake Brienz boat tour and interlaken

Day 8:Golden pass line

Lauterbrunnen - zweisimmen - Montreux - Geneva

There are 2 trains covers this line, one is at 8:32am (3 stops) and another is at 10:32am ( 4 stops, extra stop at Spiez) , does both are different? Do i need reservation for any of these connection? If yes, is it possible to reserve the seat while buying the ticket?

Any suggestions on what to do in Geneva for half day?

I have made all the calculations for fares and come to conclusion Half Fare Card is better for my itinerary.

I am looking forward for your thoughts on the itinerary, Thanks.

Snowman
Snowman
570 posts
top member
Jun 13, 2019 - 11:43 AM in reply to Durga

Hi Durga, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your travel plan is basically well thought out and does not require a lot of comments. September is usualy a nice month, and Sachseln is a good idea.

2) Sure, you can go to Titlis with a toddler, although I doubt if he will keep a lot of memories of the excursion.

Lauterbrunnen - Geneva: The two trips you mention are equivalent. The "stops" you mention are changes of trains (standard gauge / narrow gauge). On individual sections, the train will call at various places while you stay on board.

It is uncommon in Switzerland to book train seats. If you do that (it is possible) then, when you board the train, you will have to find the right car and then your seats, possibly hauling your bags through the entire train, usually passing several free seats on the way, while you may have to ask a passenger sitting on your reserved seat (with no ill intention, just because booked seats are so unusual) to make it available for you. Large groups, yes, do book seats.

Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 12:01 PM in reply to Snowman

Thanks for the information Snowman,i went through lot of posts in this forum before coming to this itinerary. As i am not buying swiss travel pass, any recommendation for 1 short scenic boat trip on lake lucerne or lake thun or lake brienz?

Snowman
Snowman
570 posts
top member
Jun 13, 2019 - 12:12 PM in reply to Durga

They are all nice, select the one that fits best in your plans.

Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 12:20 PM in reply to Snowman

Ok, one important information i forgot to ask is, what are the reliable sources for weather information? Like weather website links for my stay at Lauterbrunen before planning my walks.

Snowman
Snowman
570 posts
top member
Jun 13, 2019 - 12:29 PM in reply to Durga

www.meteoswiss.admin.c h/home/weather/forecas ts.html

Click on "choose location"

No reliable forecast beyond 5 days.

Annika
Annika
5394 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:33 PM in reply to Durga

Hi Durga!

Great that you've been able to compose this itinerary. It looks fine to me. It does involve a fair amount of hiking with a 2 year old toddler. Will you be carrying him/her?

If calculations show that the Swiss Half Fare Card (myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard) is more economical, then that's a good choice. If the price difference isn't that big, I'd recommend the Swiss Travel Pass (myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass) though, as it offers a lot more flexibility. You can adapt plans to changing weather, kids getting tired or any other circumstance, without being stuck to (half priced) tickets that you've already bought for the day.

Some additional links:

Last modified on Jun 13, 2019 - 2:53 PM by Annika
Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 2:45 PM in reply to Annika

Thanks for the links Annika, we are going to carry her using a back carrier. I have downloaded the XL sheet from this website and created 5 options. I went through SBB to get the fares, i was not quite clear on few trips. I have attached the xl sheet, i don't know it will be too much to ask the moderators to give their opinion on the XL sheet for the calculations. Right now i am more inclined to option 5 in the xl sheet.

Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
13605 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:08 PM

Hi Durga,

I didn't check all numbers but most seem fine to me. A few exceptions:

• Swiss Travel Pass: Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen is 25% discounted until Wengen, the rest is free. Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp is free. Gimmelwald - Stechelberg is free.
  • I am not aware of discounts on Fronalpstock and Klingenstock with either pass.
Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 3:21 PM

Thanks, i have corrected them. I don't get the exact fare information for stoos ridge walk.

My intention is to take

Stoos - Klingenstock -> chairlift

Klingenstock - Fronalpstock -> walk

Fronalpstock - Stoos -> chair lift

In Stoos railway website, i have found Stoos Peak Experience Ticket (all facilities) summer 2019 for 36 CHF( with Half fare card), i don't know if i can use this ticket for my purpose?

Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 4:05 PM

Just now realized as my last day travelling to Geneva is fixed and will cost me 43 CHF ( with Half fare card), is it worth buying Saver day pass for that day in advance? I think i can use this ticket for other attractions like Geneva boat trips.

Annika
Annika
5394 posts
expert &
Jun 14, 2019 - 9:38 AM in reply to Durga

Hi Durga.

Yes, the Stoos Peak Experience Ticket seems to cover your needs for that day. If you want to make sure, you'd best ask the Stoos railway company.

You can check the Saver Day Pass validity here: myswissalps.com/saverd aypass/validity. Whether you're better off with this pass or with regular 50% discounted ticket, depends on your exact plans for the day. Boat trips on Lake Geneva are indeed included, so a Saver Day Pass may be beneficial indeed.

Durga
Durga
7 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 4:04 PM

Thanks Annika, considering the long train journey on the last day from Lauterbrunnen to Geneva airport i have slightly changed my itinerary on Day 2, 4,7 and 8 . We are planning to spend last night at Montreux.

1) Day 1 : Buy Saver Day pass well in advance.

After landing in Basel airport store the luggage at Lucerne station, depending on the weather either go to Mt Rigi or do the Boat trip on the Lake.

2) Day 2: Mt Titlis ( weather dependent), we are thinking of doing below walk before going to Titlis

Engelberg - Unter Trüebsee, walk

Unter Trüebsee - Ober Trüebsee, cable car

Ober Trüebsee - Trübsee walk

Trübsee - Stand (gondala) - Titlis ( Rotair)

If i do these walks, where can i buy the tickets for the cable car from Unter Trüebsee to Ober Trüebsee?

3) Day 3: Lucerne city tour, if it is raining then go to Swiss Museum of Transport/Hergiswil glass factory

4) Day 4: Check out from the accommodation, go towards Lauterbrunnen. This will take 2hrs.

Lauterbrunnen (cable car) - Grütschalp (Mountain view trail) - Allmendhubel (North face trail) - Mürren. Is it doable on 1st day?

I am bit confused on this day, considering we might have only half day, what's the scenic walk to do on this day? Mountain view trail or North Face trail?

5) Day 5: Männlichen - Kleine Scheidegg walk

6) Day 6: First - Bachsee walk

7) Day 7: Lauterbrunnen - zweisimmen - Montreux,

if we miss any of the above 3 walks due to bad weather we might leave Lauterbrunnen for 2:32pm train to Montreux, otherwise we will leave in the morning.

8) Day 8: Spend until 5pm in Montreux then leave to Geneva airport for 9:30pm Flight.

Last modified on Jun 18, 2019 - 4:49 PM by Durga
Arno
Arno
13605 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2019 - 7:24 AM

Hi Durga,

If you don't buy cable car tickets in advance (which is not always possible), you can always get them on the spot. Small cable cars sometimes only have staff at one end so you may first ride up or down and then pay when you get there.

Grütschalp to Mürren or Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg are lovely easy trails for a first day:

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019