Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Itinerary suggestions for Swiss Christmas markets

Itinerary suggestions for Swiss Christmas markets

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Malicia
Malicia
4 posts
Nov 11, 2019 - 5:37 PM

Hi everyone. I posted earlier about rail suggestions. We are two adults traveling in the central Switzerland region December 2-8. We fly in and out of Zürich, landing on December 2 and leaving mid-morning December 8. After some debate, I’ve decided to do a four day travel pass for December 3-6.

heres my tentative plan. Our main focus is to shop the markets and enjoy the atmosphere, with some mountain sights.

Monday December 2: land at Zurich. Buy a one way ticket to Luzern. Luzern will be our base for Monday December 2 to Friday December 6. Check in and look around the town.

Tuesday Dec. 3. Bern for the day. Shop the markets, walk through the town. Hopefully find some good food and chocolate. Bonus if I also find good yarn.

Wednesday December 4. Mt Tillatus, assuming clear weather. Walk the ice cave, play in the snow if there’s any available. Return to Luzern for dinner. Shop the market there if it’s open.

Thursday December 5. Go to Basel for the day. Same plan as Bern, walk the town, shop the markets, and find good food.

Friday December 6: Check out and leave bags. Head to Rigi, assuming the weather is clear. Return to Luzern, collect bags, and head to Zurich. Spend the night and Saturday night in Zürich.

Saturday December 7: Explore Zurich, the markets and shops there. Perhaps a museum if one catches our eye.

Sunday: Fly out.

id welcome suggestions in any of the towns. Should we do both Rigi and Tilatus or just one? And is Basel worth the trip or should I consider an alternative town for the day? I’ve debated going to Einsiedeln as well because it sounds different than our other cities. I want variety, but my main focus is not to overload and rush from place to place.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8797 posts
expert
Nov 12, 2019 - 2:41 AM in reply to Malicia

I guess you’ve read this www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/christmasmark ets.

Mount Titlis and Mount Rigi would be quite different experiences.

Never been to Einsiedeln but St Gallen is worth a look if you want somewhere a little less big city. You can take the Voralpen Express from Luzern. It’s a bit further than Einsiedeln.

Steph
Steph
2190 posts
top member &
Nov 12, 2019 - 7:19 AM in reply to Malicia

Hello Malicia,

Nice to hear you're coming for a pre-Christmas stay to Switzerland.

Apart from the superb link shared by Rockoyster please find more helpful information for your trip below:
- www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich
- www.myswissalps.com/zu rich
- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne
- www.myswissalps.com/be rn
- www.myswissalps.com/ba sel
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

I personally very much like Einsiedeln, it's a kind of a pilgrimage place in Switzerland, with a large monastery and quite a quiet atmosphere, it's rather small. Find some inspiration in below links:
- www.myswitzerland.com/ en-ch/destinations/einsie deln/
- www.einsiedeln-anderswo.ch/en/einsied eln/
- www.eyz.swiss/fileadmi n/user_upload/Einsiede ln-Ybrig-Zuerichsee/Bilder/Foot er/Infoguide_Einsieden _de_en.pdf

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Nov 12, 2019 - 7:20 AM by Steph
maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
690 posts
top member
Nov 16, 2019 - 1:07 PM

Check dates for Einsiedeln Christmas Market. It doesn't operate for as many days as Basel but if it is open during your stay I would highly recommend it. We went there a few years ago and it was one of the best markets we have visited and we have been to lots! Basel is large and very Germanic in nature. In contrast Montreux has a French feel. St. Gallen is also quite nice - smaller and less busy.

Maggie

Anna
Anna
717 posts
top member &
Nov 16, 2019 - 2:17 PM in reply to Malicia

Hi Malicia,

Einsiedeln is a small town about 50 minutes by S-train from Zurich. Its main attraction is the huge Klosters or monastery, well-known as a pilgrimage centre. You can take a guided tour of the monastery for a small fee. The Christmas market takes place in the town centre from 25 Nov until 8 Dec. Looks like it's a full program this year: www.einsiedler-weihnacht.ch/

I don't know if you are a fan of Christmas concert (I am!) but the Opera House in Zurich organises free mini concert from 1 to 23 Dec, daily 1730 at the lobby (www.opernhaus.ch/home/ extra/musikalischer-adventskalender/). The Opera House is located just next to the Zürich Wienachtsdorf Christmas Market (wienachtsdorf.ch/).

The other Zurich Christmas Market is located at the main train station (christkindlimarkt.ch/e n/). Just next to the station, the Landesmuseum (National Museum) has a light show from 5pm onwards (illuminarium.ch/en/vis itor-guide/).

Just thought I'd share these links. Sorry, some sites are only in German but even if you can't read them, the pictures say a lot :)

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Nov 16, 2019 - 2:21 PM by Anna
rockoyster
rockoyster
8797 posts
expert
Nov 17, 2019 - 2:20 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

Hi Maggie,

Just on case you miss 1960man’s post regarding wheelchair access. See bit.ly/2CNT0jt.

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
690 posts
top member
Nov 20, 2019 - 12:46 PM

Found it thanks Rockoyster!

Maggie

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020