Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  How to spend afternoon in Lausanne after arrival

How to spend afternoon in Lausanne after arrival

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
baboberg
baboberg
7 posts
Aug 3, 2019 - 1:27 PM

Hello all. We arrive in Lausanne around noon. Trying to orgainize 1/2 day evening. The next day is planned for Chillon/Montreaux walks, lake ride, train. Having trouble with half day. I have not read much good about the city itself. Wondering if getting start at 1 or 1:30 after arriving at hotel would be too late to venture on a Lavaux Express with walk. We are not wine drinkers but the scenery looks beautiful. Any plan on doing this or other suggestion for an afternoon/evening will be much appreciated. Thank you all for all the great information on this site.

Snowman
Snowman
718 posts
top member
Aug 3, 2019 - 7:14 PM in reply to baboberg

When (what season) would that be?

baboberg
baboberg
7 posts
Aug 3, 2019 - 7:59 PM in reply to Snowman

Sorry about that . . . we are there this month (August). Thanks.

1960man
1960man
2384 posts
top member
Aug 3, 2019 - 11:52 PM in reply to baboberg

There is plenty to see in Lausanne (home of the Olympic movement). It is a fascinating city, on multi levels. I don't know many other cities in the world where a main thoroughfare crosses another main thoroughfare on a 25 metre high viaduct. Just seeing that sort of thing, plus the old town steps is worth half a day. There is a good trolleybus and metro system, or take the narrow gauge train to Bercher to see some typical Swiss agricutural countryside

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Pont_Bessières

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Lausanne

www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/101.pdf

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7003 posts
expert
Aug 4, 2019 - 12:47 AM in reply to baboberg

Hi Baboberg-

Sunset is late in August. You'll have time for the walk you mentioned.

Will you be jet-lagged when you arrive?

Slowpoke

Annika
Annika
6119 posts
expert &
Aug 4, 2019 - 1:29 PM

Hi baboberg! I think Lausanne is certainly worth a visit and a city walk, for example the one described at www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lausanne. A vineyard hike would be doable too, such as this one: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses. Further recommendations are listed at www.myswissalps.com/la usanne and www.myswissalps.com/la usanne/activities.

baboberg
baboberg
7 posts
Aug 4, 2019 - 1:41 PM in reply to Annika

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned, we are doing Chillon, cruise, vineyard walk, etc. on next full day. I was just looking for a full afternoon/evening when we arrive.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020