Montreux station enough connection time

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cormac B
Cormac B
3 posts
May 21, 2019 - 11:16 AM

Hello there,

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.... My retired parents are travelling from Geneva Airport to Chateau d'Oex via Montreux on the Golden Pass in early July. The arrival time from Geneva is 15:38 and the departure time a Montreux is 15:44. Is this enough time for them to make it? They've bought advance tickets, which limits travel to these particular trains. They are retired but are fit and have no mobility issues.

Thanks in advance!

Steph
Steph
1703 posts
top member &
May 21, 2019 - 11:31 AM in reply to Cormac B

Hi Cormac and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Normally if you find a connection on the SBB timetable it is do-able and usually also catered for.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

In this timetable you will also find the track numbers your trains arrive to and depart from. Use below link, incl. a nice pdf map of Montreux train station to get an overview and idea of the place.
- www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/montreux-station.html

Hope this help to answer your question.

Best,
Steph

Also check:
- www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/geneva
- www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux
- www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Last modified on May 21, 2019 - 11:32 AM by Steph
Cormac B
Cormac B
3 posts
May 21, 2019 - 1:40 PM

Hi Steph,

Thanks so much for your reply. It's actually cleared things up quite a bit!

The station looks quite manageable and the distance between platforms for their trip doesn't look bad at all!

Thanks again :) Great site by the way ;)

Cormac

1960man
1960man
1965 posts
top member
May 22, 2019 - 12:05 AM

Trains from Geneva arrive at the same platform adjacent to where most MOB express trains depart. There is not normally a need to use a subway etc so it won't take long to change from one to the other.

However, it will be even easier for your parents if they make sure they are roughly in the middle of the train travelling from Geneva. Their train should be formed of nine coaches

Last modified on May 22, 2019 - 12:09 AM by 1960man
Cormac B
Cormac B
3 posts
May 22, 2019 - 10:47 AM in reply to 1960man

Thanks so much for this. I wasn't sure whether or not they'd need to use a subway, so hopefully it's not the case.

That's a great idea regarding middle carriages though. I'll pass it on to them!

One other thing that's puzzled me: when I was booking the tickets Swiss railways had a 'reservation recommended' icon accompanying the Golden Pass leg from Montreux. However, I wasn't able to reserve at the time and am wondering a) is there a need and b) can I still do this?

Thanks again!

Maria
Maria
818 posts
top member
May 22, 2019 - 5:30 PM in reply to Cormac B

Hi Cormac B,

Reservations are recommended only on the part of the route between Montreux and Zweisimmen. You will find links on how to do it here: www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!!

Maria.

1960man
1960man
1965 posts
top member
May 22, 2019 - 11:21 PM in reply to Cormac B

Personally I've never reserved a Swiss train seat in 59 years, however, MOB has been truncating its train formations in recent years and now tries to cater increasingly for tourists over locals it feels like, hence their recommendation to reserve nowadays to avoid potentially 'letting down' their tourist market.

However in ones and two I still don't think it is necessary to reserve.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019