My Zurich, Wengen, Chur itinerary for July

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
navey
navey
5 posts
May 31, 2019 - 11:36 PM

Hi All,

My flights lands Zurich on Sunday Jul 07 at 9 AM. Return flight is on the morning of Wednesday Jul 17 from Zurich. Here is an itinerary I have planned:

Day 00: Sunday 07-July : Arrival at Zurich. Train To Wengen. Possible stop at Brienz/Interlaken depending on luggage storage

Day 01: Monday 08-July : Jungfraujoch - Train ride hike etc., Kleine Scheidegg hike,

Day 02: Tuesday 09-July : Spend time in Wengen, Lauterbrunnen. Shift to hotel in Murren.

Day 03: Wednesday 10-July : Murren / Schilthorn

Day 04: Thursday 11-July : Spend time in Murren / Grimmelwald.

Day 05: Friday 12-July : Glacier Express to Chur

Day 06: Saturday 13-july : Rent a car. Drive to Neuschwanstein Castle

Day 07: Sunday 14-July : Drive to Hallstatt. Stay the night.

Day 08: Monday 15-July : Drive to Innsbruck. Stay the night.

Day 09: Tuesday 16-July : Drive back to Zurich

Day 10: Wednesday 17-July : See you later Alps.

I have a lot of questions:

1. I know it sounds hectic, but I want to see as much as possible. Having said that, is this roughly doable? Is there a lot of overlapping scenery / architectural styles that I can possibly skip a place and either stay longer in one of the places or visit a different place.

2.Any suggestion to alter the itinerary is welcome. Other than the dates, everything else is flexible at this point.

3. I will have 1 big suitcase (23 kgs) and 2 small suitcases (check-in size). They will all have wheels. Will there be a problem with transportation in trains or cable car and from station to hotels in Wengen and Murren?

4. Is there a must see place I'm missing?

Naveen

rockoyster
rockoyster
6708 posts
expert
Jun 1, 2019 - 2:56 AM in reply to navey

1. I know it sounds hectic, but I want to see as much as possible. Having said that, is this roughly doable? Is there a lot of overlapping scenery / architectural styles that I can possibly skip a place and either stay longer in one of the places or visit a different place.

Sounds "doable" but I can't comment on your ambitions beyond the Swiss border. I wouldn't swap hotels from Wengen to Mürren. They are not that far apart.

2.Any suggestion to alter the itinerary is welcome. Other than the dates, everything else is flexible at this point.

For your Schilthorn day I normally recommend "From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. The entire circuit and side trips are free with the Swiss Travel Pass apart from the Allmendhubel Funicular (50% discount) and the Falls (modest entry fee)."

Where are you connecting with the Glacier Express and do you have seat reservations which are compulsory. Wengen/Mürren are probably not in the best top ten places to start a day on the Glacier Express from.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page - www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to all the available passes.

3. I will have 1 big suitcase (23 kgs) and 2 small suitcases (check-in size). They will all have wheels. Will there be a problem with transportation in trains or cable car and from station to hotels in Wengen and Murren?

I presume there is more than 1 of you. If so you should be fine.

4. Is there a must see place I'm missing?

Plenty (Zermatt springs to mind) - but you only have a finite time so everything is a trade-off.

navey
navey
5 posts
Jun 1, 2019 - 4:28 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't swap hotels from Wengen to Mürren. They are not that far apart.

The reason I wanted to stay in 2 separate villages not too far apart is for a few reasons:

1. If we do late night dinners/drinks, we do not have to worry about train and cable car schedules.

2. I like to do early morning walks before my wife wakes up. Changing villages will help me explore more during my morning walks.

3. If needed, We can come back to our hotel mid day, have some rest and then go out again.

For your Schilthorn day I normally recommend "From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Awesome suggestions!

Where are you connecting with the Glacier Express and do you have seat reservations which are compulsory. Wengen/Mürren are probably not in the best top ten places to start a day on the Glacier Express from.

I'm thinking either Brig or Andermatt as starting point and end in Chur. I have read that Andermatt to Chur is the most scenic part. What are your thoughts? I'll make reservations as soon as my itinerary is final (hopefully by Sunday)

One more thing. I'm having trouble finding concrete information on luggage storage at various stations. Some show small lockers, but say larger stuff can be stored, but the way information is presented does not inspire much confidence.I'm specifically interested about Brienz, Interlaken, Brig and Andermatt stations.

Last modified on Jun 1, 2019 - 4:29 AM by navey
rockoyster
rockoyster
6708 posts
expert
Jun 1, 2019 - 5:38 AM in reply to navey

I'm thinking either Brig or Andermatt as starting point and end in Chur. I have read that Andermatt to Chur is the most scenic part.

The Jungfrau region is not an ideal start point for the Glacier Express. If you looking at joining the GEX routes at Andermatt then I would go via Luzern (on the Luzern - Interlaken Express which is part of the Golden Pass route) and Göschenen and then take regular trains rather than the GEX. You then avoid the need to reserve seats and are much more flexible timetable-wise. Andermatt to Chur is certainly more interesting than Brig to Andermatt.

Personally I would just skip the GEX altogether (I know it's a major tourist drawcard but I think it's a bit over-rated) and maybe stay a night in Luzern instead of going to Chur. You could easily then visit Pilatus or Rigi or even Titlis after reaching Luzern from Mürren. You might find it cheaper to then go hire you car from Zurich. There will be a premium to pay if you hire at Chur and return to Zurich.

I'm having trouble finding concrete information on luggage storage at various stations. Some show small lockers, but say larger stuff can be stored, but the way information is presented does not inspire much confidence.I'm specifically interested about Brienz, Interlaken, Brig and Andermatt stations.

The SBB website is not as clear as it could be on luggage storage but all the stations you mention will be suitable for your needs.

navey
navey
5 posts
Jun 1, 2019 - 9:19 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks so much!I have mostly all the information needed to finalize my plan. This is the best travel planning website I have come across.

Last modified on Jun 1, 2019 - 9:20 PM by navey
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6330 posts
expert
Jun 1, 2019 - 11:32 PM in reply to navey

Hi Navey-

<<"This is the best travel planning website I have come across.">>

Thanks for the compliments. Rockoyster is the best!

And, thanks for specifying your dates.

You can help keep it that way with a trip report when you are done. Many forum members study them.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 1, 2019 - 11:33 PM by Slowpoke
navey
navey
5 posts
Jun 3, 2019 - 10:25 PM

You can help keep it that way with a trip report when you are done. Many forum members study them.

Definitely

Steph
Steph
1512 posts
top member &
Jun 4, 2019 - 4:42 AM in reply to navey

Hey Navey,

Nice to hear you're receiving helpful input here on the forum! We're happy to support.

Also already looking forward to your report, but first it's your turn to enjoy your trip.

Have a fabulous time, we're here for any finalizing details.

Best,
Steph

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019