Itinerary and Swiss Travel Pass Flex in Dec & Jan

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Keaksilver
Keaksilver
4 posts
Sep 25, 2019 - 1:14 AM

Planning a trip at the end of December into Jan. It's a 10 day trip but will only need rail 8 of 10 days. But 4 of the days are in Dec and 4 in Jan. The flex says 8 days in a month. So how do I do this? Do I have to buy two 4 day flex passes - one for Dec and one for Jan? It'd actually be cheaper to get a 15 day regular consecutive day pass and just not use all the days. That way I could take the train to Chillon instead of walking and to Root instead of paying. Is that my best option?

Itinerary:

12/26 Fly in to ZRH, train to Zermatt, Gornergrat to Iglu Dorf igloo hotel.

12/27 train to Montreux

12/28 Chillon Castle, Chaplin's World (no need for rail pass)

12/29 train to Lausanne Olympic Museum

12/30 Golden Pass to Interlaken, boat trip, continue to Lucerne

12/31 Aeschbach Chocolatier in Root (will pay for the rail since it's so close)

1/1 Rigi & Kaltbad spa (boat or train?) Weather permitting

1/2 Explore Lucerne (no need for rail pass) Back up for mountains

1/3 Titlis or Pilatus? Train to Zurich

1/4 Train to ZRH

Ildiko
Ildiko
393 posts
top member &
Sep 25, 2019 - 5:56 AM in reply to Keaksilver

Hi Keaksilver and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You'll find the answer to how to use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex at www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/howt ouse, study especially the explanation under "Definition of a travel day". It should not be a calendar month, it means that you have 30 days.

You can use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex also to get free museum tickets if you are using your Swiss Travel Pass Flex on that day: for Chillon Castle and Olympic Museum yes, but unfortunately Chaplin's World is not included, but it still worth to visit). You'll find the list of the participating museums at www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/deta ils. There are no benefits on the non-travel days, either on the museums.

Sometimes it is better to buy a longer Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass). You'll find a useful guide with a calculation spreadsheet, which helps you to choose a rail pass at www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it's valid" page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully. Do the math with the spreadsheet. Probably the 15 days Swiss Travel Pass will be better for you. If there is only a small difference in cost between the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex I suggest to choose the Swiss Travel Pass so you have more flexibility.

See also:

Last modified on Sep 25, 2019 - 5:58 AM by Ildiko

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019