Switzerland train system information

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kmjtwinnie
Kmjtwinnie
4 posts
Sep 28, 2019 - 10:35 AM

I am planning to visit Switzerland from 25 Dec to 9 Jan 2020. I have several qns about rail pass, train tickets, schedule and cable car availability etc. Hope someone can provide me with some guidance.

I will post the qns in groups for easy response. Many thanks in advance

1) When I am trying to look for train information in Dec from this site "www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml" but following message appeared " Unfortunately, no connection can be found for your enquiry. It may be the case that you are trying to make your journey on a date that is not possible at this starting or destination point or with the selected means of transport (e.g. sometimes stops are not served at weekends). You can check this using the arrival/departure tables at {3} and {5}. Thank you.". Does it mean the train schedule is not out yet? Do you know when will it be ready on website?

2) Again, using this site, (Using a dummy earlier date) I wanted to check what is the train ticket price and discount I can get if i am holding a Swiss Travel Pass for the interstate or intercity train from

- Airport to Zurich

- Zurich to Lucerne

- Lucerne to St Moritz

- St Moritz to Zermatt

- Zermatt to Geneva

However the sections display under "Discount Cards" does not list "Swiss Travel Pass", it only display i) no discount, ii) Half Fare Travelcard, iii) Junior travelcard and iv) Children’s Co-travelcard. Thus I am not able to check the final price with Swiss price.

3) I also realised the price stated in the "timetable and ticket purchase" page (for a particular departure time) is different (lower), compared with the "travel data" page by clicking the Red colour price box. How do i know which price i should refer to? Or i can ignore this if i am holding a Swiss Travel Pass.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7493 posts
expert
Sep 28, 2019 - 3:43 PM in reply to Kmjtwinnie

By far the best way to check timetables, find fares* and buy tickets on-line if required is using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi). In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page - www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app also show a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make conections.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you generally don’t need tickets. Just hop on and go, unless you are on a trip not fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

You may be having trouble finding connections because the national timetable gets re-issued on 9 December each year. To check fares just look for a date prior to that.

Last modified on Sep 28, 2019 - 3:46 PM by rockoyster
1960man
1960man
2200 posts
top member
Sep 28, 2019 - 11:08 PM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster

The timetable isn't changed on 9 December every year, see my explanation in the closely related discussion here:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/2020-timetables

1960man
1960man
2200 posts
top member
Sep 28, 2019 - 11:11 PM in reply to Kmjtwinnie

All your journeys as quoted will be 'free' with the STP (apart from the extra fees if you want to travel on the Glacier Express* (which it looks like you plan to do as you want to travel "St Moritz - Zermatt")

You don't need to do that as there are normal trains on all the routes you are planning

The 2020 timetables will come online early - middle of next month

Suzanne
Suzanne
124 posts
active member &
Sep 29, 2019 - 1:35 PM

Hello Kmjtwinnie,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

To get started by traveling by train in Switzerland, I recommend that you look at the below links to help you get started:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

This link will help you decide what kind of travel pass would be suitable for your travel needs:

www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

By looking at your general travel plans and the days you will be in Switzerland, it would be beneficial to get the "Swiss Travel Pass" because you have unlimited travel throughout Switzerland. You can purchase the 15 consecutive day pass and the remaining day you have in Switzerland you may leave it open. Please take a look at the below link to see the other benefits of the Swiss Travel Pass:

www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

I have also included a link to help you read the Swiss train system:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I would highly recommend downloading the Swiss train system app- known as SBB on your smartphone. It helps to see the train schedules in real time:

www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Happy planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Last modified on Sep 29, 2019 - 5:42 PM by Suzanne
rockoyster
rockoyster
7493 posts
expert
Sep 29, 2019 - 3:13 PM in reply to 1960man

Fair point 1960man. Guilty as charged.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019