Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card better

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Dan90
Dan90
2 posts
Jun 17, 2019 - 7:00 AM

Hi all,

Been reading profusely over the weekend to wrap my head around this. This is roughly what my wife and I are planning to do while in Europe next month. I've put all this information into a spreadsheet and believe the half fare card works out slightly cheaper (approx $1000 aud) - unfortunately don't have the details with me.

As we are in Switzerland for 5 days, I don't think the 4 day pass would work, and would need to go the 5 day pass for approx $1224 total. I don't believe the 3 day flex card and full fares for the local trips is comparable.

Have I missed something in my comparisons here? Do I gain anything for the addition price of the 8 day pass? The travel agent I've spoken to has suggested the travel pass vice the half fare card, but I'm just not sure.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

14 Jul - travel Dornbirn to Murren. Train, long journey one way
15 Jul - Tremmelbach Falls, Isenfluh. Train short journey 1 or 2 stops return.
16 Jul - Schilthorn Peak. Various public transport return.
17 Jul - Lauterbrunnen area. Nothing planned, possibly short train rides return.
18 Jul - Lauterbrunnen to Munich - Train, long journey one way.
19 Jul - me travel to Munich Airport, method unsure.
24 Jul - wife travel to Munich Airport, method unsure

rockoyster
rockoyster
7631 posts
expert
Jun 17, 2019 - 8:09 AM in reply to Dan90

Hello Dan,

Look at a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass plus a Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) for the extra day.

Swiss Half-fare Card is rarely effective for short stays.

Have you seen the spreadsheet at “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Dan90
Dan90
2 posts
Jun 17, 2019 - 8:46 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you for your tip, that day saver pass is perfect. I'll need to check the math again, but I think that works out slightly cheaper again (approx $900AUD). Likely my best option.

I used that spreadsheet yesterday, found it very helpful. I accidentally saved it to my laptop vice cloud storage so couldn't check it today (not home for another few hours), hence the vague prices from memory listed above!

I feel the best option is to buy a day saver card as soon as possible being it's cheaper, but I can wait until next month to buy the 4 day pass with no penalty. Does this sound accurate?

Daniel

rockoyster
rockoyster
7631 posts
expert
Jun 17, 2019 - 9:41 AM in reply to Dan90

G'day Daniel,

Sounds like you are all over it. Yep - that's accurate.

I highly recommend the SBB Mobile app.

Last modified on Jun 17, 2019 - 9:43 AM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019