Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card better

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Dan90
Dan90
2 posts
Jun 17, 2019 - 7:00 AM

Hi all,

Been reading profusely over the weekend to wrap my head around this. This is roughly what my wife and I are planning to do while in Europe next month. I've put all this information into a spreadsheet and believe the half fare card works out slightly cheaper (approx $1000 aud) - unfortunately don't have the details with me.

As we are in Switzerland for 5 days, I don't think the 4 day pass would work, and would need to go the 5 day pass for approx $1224 total. I don't believe the 3 day flex card and full fares for the local trips is comparable.

Have I missed something in my comparisons here? Do I gain anything for the addition price of the 8 day pass? The travel agent I've spoken to has suggested the travel pass vice the half fare card, but I'm just not sure.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

14 Jul - travel Dornbirn to Murren. Train, long journey one way
15 Jul - Tremmelbach Falls, Isenfluh. Train short journey 1 or 2 stops return.
16 Jul - Schilthorn Peak. Various public transport return.
17 Jul - Lauterbrunnen area. Nothing planned, possibly short train rides return.
18 Jul - Lauterbrunnen to Munich - Train, long journey one way.
19 Jul - me travel to Munich Airport, method unsure.
24 Jul - wife travel to Munich Airport, method unsure

rockoyster
rockoyster
6741 posts
expert
Jun 17, 2019 - 8:09 AM in reply to Dan90

Hello Dan,

Look at a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass plus a Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) for the extra day.

Swiss Half-fare Card is rarely effective for short stays.

Have you seen the spreadsheet at “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Dan90
Dan90
2 posts
Jun 17, 2019 - 8:46 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you for your tip, that day saver pass is perfect. I'll need to check the math again, but I think that works out slightly cheaper again (approx $900AUD). Likely my best option.

I used that spreadsheet yesterday, found it very helpful. I accidentally saved it to my laptop vice cloud storage so couldn't check it today (not home for another few hours), hence the vague prices from memory listed above!

I feel the best option is to buy a day saver card as soon as possible being it's cheaper, but I can wait until next month to buy the 4 day pass with no penalty. Does this sound accurate?

Daniel

rockoyster
rockoyster
6741 posts
expert
Jun 17, 2019 - 9:41 AM in reply to Dan90

G'day Daniel,

Sounds like you are all over it. Yep - that's accurate.

I highly recommend the SBB Mobile app.

Last modified on Jun 17, 2019 - 9:43 AM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019