Rhine Falls, Schaffhausen & Stein am Rhein in Oct

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Henrychai
Henrychai
6 posts
Sep 10, 2019 - 12:58 PM

Hi I will be staying in Zurich in mid October for a few days and plan to do a day trip from Zurich to Rhine Falls then to Schaffhausen and later

to Stein am Rhein. At the end of the day, I plan to return from Stein am Rhein back to Zurich. May I know if the above return routes are doable? If so what type of return train ticket should I buy? If there a return day saver ticket? I tried using SBB to figure out the return ticket but was not sure what is the cheapest train ticket that I should buy. Kindly advise. thanks Henry

Luke
Luke
105 posts
Sep 11, 2019 - 12:20 AM in reply to Henrychai

Hi Henry,

A Saver Day Pass could be an option - but how long are you in Switzerland for? If travelling around for several days a Swiss Travel Pass is often best.

You find the normal rates by using the SBB timetable here (default rates are for Swiss Half Fare Card holders so double it for the normal fare).

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Ildiko
Ildiko
396 posts
top member &
Sep 11, 2019 - 6:18 AM

Hi Henrychai,

in addition to Luke's excellent information, we recommend a round trip at the Rhine Falls, make sure to read it, to get the most out of your journey: www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls. You'll also find a map under label "Route".

If you are planning to travel by train at least several times, use this calculation spreadsheet to find the best rail pass for your itinerary: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Arno
Arno
14103 posts
expert &
Sep 11, 2019 - 6:49 AM

Hello Henry,

To add even more options: there is also the Z-Pass. One of its variants includes the Zurich network (ZVV) and the area east of that (Ostwind), including Schaffhausen and Stein am Rhein: www.z-pass.ch/zpass/en/home. html. The standard price is CHF 55.60, which is more than the best price of the Saver Day Pass that Luke suggested, which includes the whole country.

You can also buy a day pass for the ZVV network only and buy connecting tickets to Schaffhausen and Stein am Rhein, which are just outside the covered area. The ZVV day pass that is valid from 9:00 AM only costs CHF 26. The connecting tickets I estimate to be CHF 20. The only that is valid before 9:00 AM is more expensive.

Last modified on Sep 12, 2019 - 5:32 AM by Annika
AlpApe
AlpApe
9 posts
Sep 11, 2019 - 11:04 AM

If you have time, you may want to take the lovely, relaxing ferry ride from Stein am Rhein to Schaffhausen. It's about 1:15 minutes. The highlight of the trip is going under the covered bridge at Diessenhofen where they literally lower the roof of the ferry so the boat can fit under the bridge! Lots of fun.

Henrychai
Henrychai
6 posts
Sep 11, 2019 - 11:28 AM

Thank you all. I will explore all options provided. Cheers

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019