Most scenic route from Zurich to Wengen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
May02
May02
2 posts
Jun 16, 2019 - 4:39 PM

I wondered what the best scenic route would be from Zurich to Wengan, where we will be based. We begin from Zurich in the morning and hotel check in is after 4pm so we have some time!

Many thanks

Steph
Steph
1525 posts
top member &
Jun 17, 2019 - 3:54 AM in reply to May02

Hello May02 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you're coming to Switzerland. I assume you will be staying in Wengen, right?!
- www.myswissalps.com/we ngen

You have two options to travel from Zurich to Wengen, either via Bern, our Capital, or via Lucerne and the Brünig Pass, which for me is the more scenic route.

Use the timetable below to find out about detailed connections, make sure you understand how it works, it's a fabulous tool for planning. To find the connections via Lucerne you will have use the "add via" button and type Luzern there.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Here some input about Bern and Lucerne, so that you can also consider breaking the journey in one of these places, depending on your route.
- www.myswissalps.com/be rn
- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Best,
Steph

pkerr
pkerr
114 posts
Jun 17, 2019 - 12:51 PM in reply to Steph

I too am doing the same route and I' considering the Luzerne routing. I did notice on the timetable that some of the options have a small "%" sign in the upper left corner. Any important meaning to that?

Thanks

Please login to see the attached documents
Steph
Steph
1525 posts
top member &
Jun 18, 2019 - 4:22 AM in reply to pkerr

Hello Pkerr,

The % symbol means that there are so-called Supersaver tickets available, normally because they are not so busy connections.

However be careful with these tickets, as they limit you to one SPECIFIC train, if you miss it, you pay an entire ticket again.
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland

Best,
Steph

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jun 18, 2019 - 7:13 PM in reply to May02

Will you be using the trains, or driving?

When will you travel?

And the correct spelling is Wengen.

You might find this useful:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Finally, if you have 8 hours to make the trip (assuming that you start early) , you could stop along the way. Both Luzern and Bern are good for a short stop over.

The timetable linked above will help you with that.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 18, 2019 - 7:14 PM by Slowpoke
pkerr
pkerr
114 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 7:28 PM

Can stopover be made using the SuperSaver ticket?

Thanks

May02
May02
2 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 11:28 PM in reply to Steph

Many thanks for all the useful information. It has been very helpful.

We will be travelling by train and have a Swiss Travel Pass. I was hoping to also try to get a scenic journey on one of the panoramic trains, possibly the Golden Pass Express from Luzern which I know to reserve a seat for. But we are also going to Montraux from Zweisimmen at the end of our trip and will be travelling on the Golden Pass Express then too.

Is there any other possible panoramic trains that are suggested or will it be too much for one day?

Thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jun 19, 2019 - 3:21 AM in reply to May02

Hi May02 -

ot sure how longh you will be there, but there is plenty of scenery near Wengen.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
13678 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2019 - 8:12 AM in reply to May02

Hello May02,

There is no need to reserve seats from Lucerne to Interlaken, please see www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets and www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

I don't think other "official" scenic trains make sense in your case, you can explore your options here: www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips. As Slowpoke says, there will be a lot of scenery anyway.

Ltboulton
Ltboulton
8 posts
Jun 19, 2019 - 2:32 PM

Are there spots to leave luggage for a few hours in the train stations in Bern and Lucerne? We too are travelling from Zurich to Wengen and want to do a stopover for a few hours en route.

Arno
Arno
13678 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2019 - 2:45 PM in reply to Ltboulton

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019