Scenic village between Visp and Andermatt/Martigny

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
shamik
shamik
12 posts
Jun 6, 2019 - 8:20 AM

Hello again!

Me, my wife and 2.5 year old daughter will be in Zermatt during the middle of August and we will be having the STP. One of the days we plan to take regional trains from Zermatt on some scenic routes. We are looking for a scenic village anywhere between Visp and Andermatt or between Visp and Martigny. We would like to get down there, stroll around, have a leisurely lunch, take an easy hike and get back to Zermatt in the evening. Any suggestions?

Regards

Shamik

Last modified on Jun 6, 2019 - 8:39 AM by shamik
rockoyster
rockoyster
6565 posts
expert
Jun 7, 2019 - 12:42 AM in reply to shamik
1960man
1960man
1793 posts
top member
Jun 8, 2019 - 12:46 AM in reply to shamik

I was in Visp for a week last month and went on the regional train several days running up the Rhone Valley in the Andermatt direction into what is known as the Goms region of Oberwallis (upper Valais). We looked at the scenery (as I have been doing in the same are since 1960...) and went for walks around the stations or between stations. All the villages are rather small and the valley is narrow so the number of level paths is limited, but some suggestions:

Münster (VS). A nice village in a wider green 'bowl'

Niederwald (birth place of Cesar Ritz who 'invented' hotel tourism...). Incredible old buildings in the village centre

Fürgangen - Bellwald: if you can stomach it cross the hanging bridge across the River Rhone and walk to the Café Hängebrigga in Mühlebach for lunch

In the other direction, take the 'RegionAlps' local train to Salgesch. Nice village surrounded by vineyards

shamik
shamik
12 posts
Jun 11, 2019 - 3:52 AM

Thank you Rockoyster and 1960man for your answers. They are most helpful!

Regards

Shamik

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019