Swiss Travel Pass, 1/2 Fare Card or Jungfrau pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cathy field
Cathy field
5 posts
May 26, 2019 - 5:14 AM

Please help.....My husband & I will be traveling with our son (already 16 at time of trip) and we can't figure out which pass is best. I'm meeting them in Murren and my husband has to depart 1 day early. I've pasted our itinerary below. Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Day 1, July 11 Train from Zurich to Murren (husband and son only)

Train from Milan to Murren (just me)

Day 2, July 12 Murren/Wengen ...visit Schilthorn and possibly Trummelbach falls OR the falls and Lauterbrunnen the next day. (all 3 of us)

Day 3, July 13 Murren/Wengen (all 3 of us)
Possible hike going up the Almendhubel funicular to Grutschalp and take the train back. OR hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. (Lauterbrunnen train to Wengen, then cable car to Mannlichen. Take trail, then train from Kl. Sch. back to Lauterb.). OR bus to Isenflush from Lauterbrunnen

Day 4, July 14 Late afternoon train from Murren to Luzern (all 3 of us)

Day 5, July 15 Train from Luzern to Zurich Airport (husband only)

Day trip to Mt.Rigi, boat ride from Luzern to Vitzau and cog wheel train Vitzau to Rigi Klum, cable car to Weggis, boat ride Weggis to Luzern (me and son only)

Arno
Arno
13981 posts
expert &
May 26, 2019 - 12:43 PM

Hi Cathy field,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The Jungfrau Travel Pass only covers a very small area so I would not consider that one: www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity.

So it's either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass plus regular tickets or a Saver Day Pass for the remaining day, or the Swiss Half Fare Card for the entire time.

I would think that the Swiss Travel Pass is more attractive: it's more convenient (less tickets to buy, Schilthorn and Rigi are fully included, and your son can buy the cheaper Youth version. Please read all about it here: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

All about the Swiss Half Fare Card can be found here: www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard.

If you wish to compare in detail, please see www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

In case of the Swiss Travel Pass, your husband can best use it for day 1 to 4, as a ticket for day 5 is not that expensive.

Further information:

Cathy field
Cathy field
5 posts
May 26, 2019 - 6:10 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you so much for this info.

If i buy the swiss travel pass or 1/2 fare card now, am i able to purchase the one for my son for kids <16? He turns 16 in June and we’ll be in Switzerland in July. One post in the forum said the swiss only count the birthdate when u buy the card so if we already have the card when he turns 16, they accept it.

can you pls confirm/verify? Thank you

Arno
Arno
13981 posts
expert &
May 26, 2019 - 6:36 PM in reply to Cathy field

Hi Cathy,

No, the start date of the pass is what counts, regardless of when you buy it. If he's 16 on the date you start using the pass, then he can't travel free on the Swiss Family Card. There is a cheaper Youth version of the Swiss Travel Pass he would qualify for: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

Cathy field
Cathy field
5 posts
Jun 2, 2019 - 4:17 PM

I'm still confused. sorry

I tried using the excel grid but it only confused me more.

are you suggesting I buy the 4 day Swiss travel pass for me and my son and a 3 day pass for my husband (and then buy his train ticket from Luzern to Zurich on day 4 separately).

Lastly, as I will be coming from Milano, do I buy a Trenitalia ticket for Milano to Spiez and then with Swiss travel pass I'd be covered Spiez to Murren?
I've listed a shortened version of my itinerary below:

Day 1, July 11 1 Adult and 1 Youth - Zurich to Murren
1 Adult - Milano to Murren (do I buy Milano to Spiez on trenitalia. then buy separate tix, spiez to Murren if using 1/2 fare card or travel pass?

Day2, July 12 2 adults and 1 youth - Murren to Schilthorn . thrill walk at Birg, Schilthorn, Trummelbach falls

Day 3, July 13 Murren area. Hiking and activities TBD (open to suggestions)

Day 4, July 14 Murren AM (hiking and lunch) - Luzern PM
2 Adults and 1 Youth - Murren to Luzern

Day 5, July 15 1 Adult - Luzern to Zurich Airport 1 Adult and 1 Youth - Mt. Pilatus golden roundtrip incl. ropes course, toboggan ride, boat ride

thanks!

Steph
Steph
1833 posts
top member &
Jun 3, 2019 - 10:54 AM in reply to Cathy field

Hello Cathy,

A tricky constellation you have here.. :)

First of all, the Swiss Travel Pass covers the journey from the Swiss border onwards, most probably Chiasso, so only buy a ticket up to there:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

I think Arno was suggesting the following:
You and your son
Swiss Travel Pass 4 days, either day 1 - 4 or 2 - 5 and cover the remaining one with a Saver Day Pass.
Use Arnos links for details.

Your husband
Swiss Travel Pass 4 days for day 1 - 4 and a regular ticket for the train Luzerne - Zurich Airport.
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland

In both the Swiss Travel Pass link and the Saver Day Pass link you will find a "Where it's valid" tab to see detailed validity (make sure you read the legend, especially regarding the Saver Day Pass).

And finally, use below timetable to calculate travelling times and connections. Make sure you understand how it works, it's a great tool for planning.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jun 3, 2019 - 10:55 AM by Steph
Sindhu ramak
Sindhu ramak
3 posts
Jun 4, 2019 - 9:50 AM

I am trying to book train tickets from st. moritz to zermatt but applying swiss half fare card is not discounting my ticket fare by half. Why so?

Arno
Arno
13981 posts
expert &
Jun 4, 2019 - 9:58 AM in reply to Sindhu ramak

Hi Sindhu ramak,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps! I don't know what happened in your case. You can give it a try at the websites listed here: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price.

Please open a new thread if you have further questions or if your problem is not resolved. This one is about Cathy's questions. Thanks!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019