Swiss Travel Pass validity for Lake Lugano/Ticino

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
CabinJon
CabinJon
51 posts
Sep 19, 2019 - 9:32 AM

My wife and I will be returning to Switzerland from Oct 1 through Oct 15, using Zurich and primarily Lucerne as our base for further exploration. We are planning on spending a night in Locarno or Lugano, and would like to dip into Italy, just to say we were there. I've done a lot of reading on this site already - a great resource, thanks to all who contribute - and I have a couple questions.

1. Will the STP work on the boats in Lake Maggiore and Lake Lugano like they do on boats in Lake Luzern? Or does it depend on which boat we get on in which lakeside town, i.e., if we stop at a town in Italy to explore and then head back?

2. Any small lakeside towns along Lakes Maggiore or Lugano that you would recommend for a short visit to do a bit of sightseeing and have lunch? Any that sounded good but turned out to be less than expected?

3. For Lake Como, I see there are trains to Chiasso, covered by the STP, but what is the best way to get from there to Como? Or another Lake Como town? Is the Italian public transit system as efficient and easy to navigate as the Swiss?

Any other tips for Italy will be appreciated. We do intend to do some exploring in either Lugano or Locarno while we're there, but since Italy is so close, why not?

Arno
Arno
14102 posts
expert &
Sep 19, 2019 - 8:14 PM

Hi CabinJon,

1. The Swiss Travel Pass does not work for the Lake Maggiore boats but it does work for the Lake Lugano boats. Please see:

2. You'll find a lot of activity suggestions in our Ticino section: www.myswissalps.com/ti cino. Gandria is very special: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/castagnola-gandria.

3. Most trains continue into Italy, so you simply stay seated in Chiasso. Make sure you have a ticket from Chiasso to wherever you're going: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price. The Italian public transport is not as efficient as in Switzerland. I can't provide more details unfortunately. I don't have any experience in that area and it's Switzerland only here!

Last modified on Sep 19, 2019 - 8:14 PM by Arno
Luke
Luke
105 posts
Sep 21, 2019 - 6:58 PM in reply to CabinJon

Hi CabinJon,

Gandria was great - walk the olive trail from Lugano!

I've been to the Lake Lugano region a couple times and loved it.

I posted links to my 2 trips in that area (from the trip report forum): www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lugano-1

Last modified on Sep 21, 2019 - 6:59 PM by Luke
CabinJon
CabinJon
51 posts
Sep 21, 2019 - 7:35 PM

Arno & Luke,

Thanks for the information & links. I have more reading to do.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019