The Gotthard Panorama Express in 2020

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Arno
Arno
14105 posts
expert &
Jul 1, 2019 - 3:41 PM

Hi travelers,

The Gotthard Panorama Express-train will depart/arrive from Arth-Goldau in 2020. That's about 25 minutes from Flüelen, where it will still stop as well to connect to the boats to and from Lucerne. Other than this, there will be no major changes as far as I know now.

More details are here: www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ gettingthere.

Last modified on Jul 1, 2019 - 3:47 PM by Arno
rockoyster
rockoyster
7723 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2019 - 9:54 PM in reply to Arno

How odd. I wonder why they don’t just run it direct to Luzern? Maybe it is a plan to drum up business for the new Voralpen Express trains?

Last modified on Jul 1, 2019 - 10:31 PM by rockoyster
1960man
1960man
2288 posts
top member
Jul 1, 2019 - 11:22 PM

Not odd but very sensible. Arth Goldau is the junction of the Zurich and Luzern branches of the Gotthard route so it is the entirely logical place to start the GPE. It has/gives the following benefits:

1) is a major railway junction with storage sidings to stable the train (it is a place where some trains already terminate and park so there are clearly railway staff facilities, and it may well be a 'signing on point' where drivers start and finish shifts)

2) it is where lines from Zurich, Luzern and St Gallen meet

3) it adds some scenery to the trip, as the Arth Goldau - Fluelen line gives views of lakes, mountains (the Mythens) and nice farmland scenery

I attach two of my photos from a picnic last August between Arth Goldau and Steinen. One shows the Mythens and one shows the Lauerzersee

Last modified on Jul 1, 2019 - 11:26 PM by 1960man
Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
7723 posts
expert
Jul 2, 2019 - 2:27 AM in reply to 1960man

Fair point. Your images are a bit itny for my ageing eyes. 🤓

Last modified on Jul 2, 2019 - 2:27 AM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019