Thrill Walk, Gelmerbahn and Glacier 3000 question

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
BlueOyster22
BlueOyster22
4 posts
May 31, 2019 - 4:31 PM

Hello,

1. I read that it is recommended to purchase tickets to Gelmerbahn ahead of time. How far in advance should we purchase the tickets? It looks like the tickets are timed. How do I know we would like to spend on top near the lake. If we are not ready to go down at the time of the ticket or would like to go earlier- is it possible to exchange the ticket? I think I read that there is a restaurant at the top. Is that true or should we bring a small pick nick with us?

2. Thrill Walk at the Birg: How long does it take to go there? Would 3 hours be sufficient to spend there? I believe I read that there is a place with food there as well. Is that correct?

3. Glacier 3000: Where do we park to take the cable car to the top? Where can I find that information?

4. How long does it take to go up to Aescher-Wildkirch? How much does it cost? Where would I find that information? They do not take reservations for group under 10 people and there are 8 of us traveling. What are the chances that we would be able to have a meal there? Is it super busy and popular during July? I would imagine so. And if we do not have a chance of having a meal there, is it still worth it to go up and is there another place where we can get food? We are traveling with children and so ability to get food is important.

5. I read mixed reviews about St. Leonard lake. It is worth a trip? Going there would add 2 hours to the commute.

6. Would you recommend getting tickets to the Tamina spa ahead of time, or is it possible to purchase them on the spot?

PnBA
PnBA
51 posts
Jun 1, 2019 - 4:53 AM in reply to BlueOyster22

Did thrill walk at Birg yesterday after Schilthorn. Very impressive engineering, but I suspect most people would give it 10-30 min.

Arno
Arno
14064 posts
expert &
Jun 3, 2019 - 5:04 AM

Hi BlueOyster22,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. The hotel near the bottom station has a restaurant. I am not aware of one at the top. I think buying the same day if mostly ok, but busy weekend days might be different so buying the prior day might be better. I suppose the time can be changed if the ride isn't booked out, but I am not sure.

2. There is a restaurant at Birg. You can spend 20 minutes at Birg to admire the view, or hours to also have lunch, do the Thrill Walk (which does not take much time as it's 200 m long), etc. www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

3. You can park at the bottom cable car station at Col-du-Pillon.

4./5./6. I don't know, sorry.

Last modified on Jun 3, 2019 - 5:06 AM by Arno

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019