Train ticket Geneva Airport to Chamonix, France

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
KSinCA
KSinCA
7 posts
Jun 19, 2019 - 7:36 AM

Hello, thank you for this informative website and forum. I've reviewed many posts and haven't found one that really addresses my question. I will be traveling to Chamonix by train following my arrival at the Geneva airport and plan to purchase the train ticket on-line before my travel date. As I understand it, the Swiss Rail System does not issue tickets for a specific train departure, but the ticket can be used on any train departure on the day of my ticket. Is this true for the trains once I cross into France? I plan to take the train from the airport as soon as I can get through Immigration and Customs and retrieve my luggage. In the event of a flight delay, I want to make sure that I am not committed to specific train departures in France and can choose a later train if needed.

Thank you for any clarification you can provide!

Arno
Arno
14007 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2019 - 7:43 AM

Hi KSinCA,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Glad to hear you find it useful here. Indeed, standard tickets are valid for the day. Supersaver tickets are time restricted, but I doubt if they are available for cross-border trips: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland.

For tickets to France, please find purchase options here: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e.

Buses can be quicker and cheaper in this case. You can compare options via https://www.omio.com/t rains/france/.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7361 posts
expert
Jun 19, 2019 - 7:46 AM in reply to KSinCA

Hello KSinCA and welcome to MySwissAlps

A train will take you around 3 hours or a bus will get you there in 1 hour 40 minutes via France.

Train tickets are valid for the whole day for the whole route.

KSinCA
KSinCA
7 posts
Jun 19, 2019 - 8:16 AM

Thanks Arno and Rockoyster for your prompt replies! Yes, I was aware that the train was not the quickest transfer time - we'll be taking the bus when we return to Geneva a few weeks later. Thought the train, although slow, would provide some lovely scenery.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7361 posts
expert
Jun 19, 2019 - 10:00 AM in reply to KSinCA

Good call. Enjoy.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019