Train travel Zermatt-Lucerne-Zurich etc. best pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tgausden
Tgausden
4 posts
May 26, 2019 - 10:30 PM

My wife and I will be traveling from Geneva to Zermatt on September 9; from Zermatt to Luzern on September 11; from Luzern to Zurich on September 16. We plan to travel from Luzern to Inteloken and from Zurich to Schaffussen on day trips. I assume it will be less expensive for us to purchase 14 day Swiss Rail Passes for this travel--correct?

Are you able to reserve seats on specific trains when you have purchased the Swiss Rail Pass?

We will be traveling on train from Zurich to Salzburg on September 19. Will we be able to use the Swiss Rail Pass for train travel to the Austrian border?

Will we be able to make an 11 minute connection in VISP for train to Bern (different platforms)?

Will we be able to make a 6 minute connection in Bern for train to Luzern (different platforms)?

Tom G

1960man
1960man
2050 posts
top member
May 27, 2019 - 12:11 AM in reply to Tgausden

With a Swiss Travel Pass, it is not necessary to reserve seats on main line trains, which run at least every hour on main routes. The Swiss rail passes are valid as far as Buchs SG which is the border station between Swiss and Austrian Federal Railways - so where your train will be taken over by Austrian Railways

It takes little more than 3 minutes to change trains in Visp - I spent a whole week watching activities at Visp recently due to unexpected circumstances

6 minutes is the official minimum connecting time between trains at Bern, so should be achievable. However, Bern station platforms are dark and can get very busy.

Tgausden
Tgausden
4 posts
May 27, 2019 - 1:24 AM in reply to 1960man

Thank you so much for your quick reply and helpful information.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6604 posts
expert
May 27, 2019 - 2:05 AM in reply to Tgausden

Hi Tom -

<<"Inteloken and from Zurich to Schaffussen">>

Interlaken, Zürich, and Schaffhausen.

Visp is a tiny station. 1960man got it right, as usual.

At Bern, you can do 6 minutes with no problem, unless you are hauling too much luggage. Then you can probably make it anyway. Or, if you are going on to a main city, wait 30 minutes, have a coffee, and catch the next train.

By the way, I don't find the platforms to be dark.....but they can be busy.

A map will orient you, and you can get arrival and departure track/platform numbers on the SBB website:

www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/inswitzerland

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/bern-station.html

Scroll down for a map.

There is no "Swiss Rail Pass."

You are probably referring to a Swiss Travel Pass?

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Slowpoke

Steph
Steph
1833 posts
top member &
May 27, 2019 - 7:36 AM in reply to Tgausden

Hi Tom G,

I see you've already received lots of nice input.

Regarding the rail pass you can look at the following link to find out how to best choose your pass. I would look into the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card for sure.
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

As said, you can, but don't need to reserve seats on regular Swiss trains.
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

For input about your journey to Austria please use below link, and YES, your pass covers the journey to the Swiss border (either half fare or free, depending on pass)
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria

BTW - You'll find lots of helpful information on your destinations by typing them into the search bar of this page.

Get back to us anytime.

Best,
Steph

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019