Trains to Wengen, mountain tops, then Basel

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
KenG
KenG
4 posts
Apr 30, 2019 - 7:27 PM

Question regarding transportation

Travel plans: taking a 7 night Viking Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam, June 6 to June 13

Travel dates

-Arrive Zurich June 3, 8:30 am

-Train(s) from Zurich to Wengen

-Stay in Wengen (Hotel Edelweiss) June 3 to June 6

-Train(s) from Wengen to Basel on June 6

Activities planned (time & weather permitting)

-Jungfraujoch & Schilthorn

-Walks and hikes

-Visit towns

I have numerous guides and articles to read about local suggestions, etc. My primary question for now is “based on our planned itinerary, what train tickets for 2 people (seniors) should we ask for in Zurich (considering destinations, activities, etc)?” Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
7290 posts
expert
Apr 30, 2019 - 8:53 PM in reply to KenG

Hello KenG and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page - www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) would be very convenient. The Regional Pass BO is another option but that would then require separate tickets from the airport to Bern or Luzern and from Bern to Basel.

Compare the “where it’s valid” tabs on both those links.

KenG
KenG
4 posts
Apr 30, 2019 - 10:03 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6592 posts
expert
May 1, 2019 - 1:06 AM in reply to KenG

Hi Ken G -

For the best of the Swiss Alps...at high altitudes where Winter can hang on into early June..... you might consider reversing your trip , by traveling from Amsterdam on those dates. A week or two makes a big difference in June..in the high Alps...in Switzerland. Not so much at lower altitudes.

It is less of a concern if you do not plan hikes in the Swiss Alps.

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 1, 2019 - 1:07 AM by Slowpoke
KenG
KenG
4 posts
May 1, 2019 - 1:48 AM

Thanks, I am beginning to wonder about our timing but our Viking cruise was purchased late last year and we cannot change it. There are 6 other people in our group and they are staying in Zurich. I can wait a few weeks and just stay in Zurich for the first few days if necessary :( I'm looking forward to Switzerland (hiking/mountain tops) more than the Rhine River

Note - I've gone back to review travel options within Switzerland and am TOTALLY confused by all the options / choices. Especially since we cannot count on the weather for the travel up to the mountain tops.

? Regional Pass Berner Oberland (RPBO) $250 w/o Pass, $188 with Pass

? Swiss Travel Pass $281

? Swiss Travel Pass Flex $323

? Swiss Half Fare Card $120

? direct train from Zurich to Wengen (Jun 3, about $50 US) then Wengen to Basel (Jun 6, about $40 US) plus mountain travel costs plus ???

? direct train from Zurich to Bern (Jun 3) then Bern to Basel (Jun 6) plus RPBO and mountain travel costs

Just read an article that suggests "just get the Swiss Half Fare Card"

Perhaps analyzing TOO MUCH :)

rockoyster
rockoyster
7290 posts
expert
May 1, 2019 - 2:04 AM in reply to KenG

If you are looking up fares using the SBB timetable be aware that you see the half-fare price by default because almost every resident of Switzerland has a half-fare card. The Zurich Airport to Wengen full fare is U$90. It will make it easier if you do all your comparisons in CHF.

You can forget the 25% discount BO Pass. For 4 days there is no sense doubling up on passes.

If you buy a Swiss Half-fare Card then you have to buy tickets for EVERY trip you make. With Swiss Travel Pass you only really need an additional ticket for Jungfraujoch.

If it was me I'd stop analyzing and just get the Swiss Travel Pass. But if you like to do calculations you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Last modified on May 1, 2019 - 2:43 AM by rockoyster
KenG
KenG
4 posts
May 1, 2019 - 2:11 AM

OOOOOOOO, very good, thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6592 posts
expert
May 1, 2019 - 10:02 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hike Rockoyster - Quite a few stars for your proposed rating system...number not determined precisely.

You can make an estimate based on -

<<"OOOOOOOO, very good, thanks">>

I'd say about 8 stars?

;-)

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019