Can you see the Matterhorn in Zermatt?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MiaSwed
MiaSwed
4 posts
May 29, 2019 - 5:48 AM

Is Matterhorn peak visible from Zermatt village or is it necessary to go to Gornergrat to see it? Or is there any other place to view it from where you can go using the Swiss travel pass? Grateful for advice. Thanks

Snowman
Snowman
576 posts
top member
May 29, 2019 - 8:35 PM

Hello MiaSwed, and welcome to MySwissAlps

it is visible from Zermatt ...when there are no clouds around it. If there are, then it won't be visible from Gornergrat either.

1960man
1960man
1873 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 12:06 AM in reply to MiaSwed

You will see the Matterhorn as soon as you arrive at Zermatt station. You can see it from different places around the village depending on what houses, hotels, flats etc are in the way or not, and how high up you go. Also, you need to be on the west side of the village to see the whole mountain.

Best way is to walk west down Getwingstrasse following the Gornergrat railway down to the river, then turn south and walk along the riverside

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6334 posts
expert
May 30, 2019 - 1:33 AM in reply to MiaSwed

Hi MiaSwed - It seems that you have some good answers. I'll simply add - Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

Slowpoke

Mark
Mark
356 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 11:19 AM

I realize your question concerned the Matterhorn view using the STP but the Matterhorn is such an iconic and impressive feature you might reconsider your options. I have seen it from the west side of Zermatt and along the walk to Zmutt as well as from the Gornergrat summit and they are all nice views. But my personal opinion is the best view is from Riffelalp which is the 2nd or 3rd stop on the Gornergratbahn. See my thumbnail photo. There is a large field in front of the Riffelalp Hotel with an unobstructed view that’s great for photos and a nice open air restaurant with the same view.

Mark

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019