Safety when arriving to Wengen after 10.30 pm

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tkam0
Tkam0
1 post
May 29, 2019 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

We are planning a day trip from Wengen to Montreux in late June. Our return train from Montreux reaches Wengen at 10.41 pm. Our hotel is approximately a 10 min walk from the train station. Will it be safe to walk that late at night to our hotel in Wengen? We are a family of 4 with 2 kids. Should we be concerned about the animal / human variety at that time of the night? My gut tells me it should be safe, just need some verification.

Thanks.

1960man
1960man
1882 posts
top member
May 29, 2019 - 11:57 PM in reply to Tkam0

Most Swiss towns are pretty dead after 10.30pm. I doubt there is anything at all to worry about

kim11
kim11
467 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 1:20 AM in reply to Tkam0

If you are lucky you might see a cat chasing a mouse

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
May 30, 2019 - 1:29 AM in reply to Tkam0

<<"Should we be concerned about the animal / human variety at that time of the night? My gut tells me it should be safe, just need some verification.">>

It's never possible to be absolutely sure. Still, that is as safe a place as you'l find in your travels.

I'll simply say that I (with bad knees that inhibit my travel speed) would never hesitate to do what you propose.

However, Kim has raised an interesting point.

If, Indeed, you see a cat chasing a mouse, my thought is that you should just ignore it. ;-)

Slowpoke

kim11
kim11
467 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 1:37 AM

Or watch and see how it turns out 😀

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
May 30, 2019 - 1:54 AM in reply to kim11

Thus speaks the voice of experience.

I defer to your wisdom. ;-)

Slowpoke

PS- Have enjoyed the Bellevue and Frau Graf-Engi in particular. Thanks for that tip.

Maybe it should be Gräfin Frau Engi....

Steph
Steph
1523 posts
top member &
May 30, 2019 - 5:52 AM in reply to Tkam0

Hi Tkamo,

I can only confirm what has already been said, no major risk to expect in the mountain villages just because it's after 10 pm. But it's always reasonable being careful, but not afraid!

You'll find the street lamps full on at that time of the day/night and as you say, you only need to walk in town a few minutes, so don't worry!

Enjoy your trip.

Best,
Steph

- www.myswissalps.com/we ngen
- www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

Last modified on May 30, 2019 - 5:53 AM by Steph
kim11
kim11
467 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 1:17 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Bellevue, the view is stunning isn't it? Hotel is aptly named. And Frau Graf-Engi is a charmer for sure.

Snowman
Snowman
578 posts
top member
May 30, 2019 - 7:42 PM in reply to Tkam0

Dear Tkamo,

Welome to MySwissAlps!

The major risk in the Alps at night is encountering a Dahu. I’m surprised none of the previous posters mentioned that to you.

I have never seen a dahu myself, but I know someone who knows someone who has seen one.

Dahus are rare these days, so you shouldn’t worry too much!

Tree
Tree
6 posts
Jun 3, 2019 - 12:56 AM

Wengen...great place. Ultra safe. Even the mice feel safe. Much more cows than mice. Stores may be closed so if you want to cook yourself a midnight snack bring food along. Not sure when the restaurants close down for the night. Sure something will be open though. Have a great trip.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019