Wengen-Murren-Schilthorn doable in one day?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Baronessil
Baronessil
23 posts
May 6, 2019 - 1:08 PM

Hi All,

I have this itinerary for one day for Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Schilthorn, is this doable?

Wengen to Lauterbrunnen by train (12 min)

to Grütschalp by cable car (9 min)

to Murren by hiking (1 hours 5 min)

Gondola Towards Schilthorn (17 min), Lunch Break

Gondola Towards Stechelberg (17 min)

Gondola Towards Gimmewald

to Wengen by bus (15 min)

Thanks before

Cecil

Lili34
Lili34
18 posts
May 6, 2019 - 9:05 PM

Hey. I would say that is definitely doable. I doing the same but will be heading to Jungfraujoch first!! Also try and so and see the Trummelbach Falls on the way back from Stechlberg to Lautterbrunnen. You can hop of the bus there and get back on another on when you are finished at the falls. Hope this helps :-)

rockoyster
rockoyster
6697 posts
expert
May 6, 2019 - 10:46 PM in reply to Baronessil

Sure - you have a couple of your connection mis-described. I often make this recommendation “From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren(train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn and Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. “

Lili34
Lili34
18 posts
May 6, 2019 - 11:09 PM in reply to rockoyster

Hi rockoyster. This is exactly the route in taking thanks to your advice. Thanks.

rockoyster
rockoyster
6697 posts
expert
May 6, 2019 - 11:19 PM in reply to Lili34

Enjoy, Lili.

Lili34
Lili34
18 posts
May 6, 2019 - 11:41 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks rockoyster.

Baronessil
Baronessil
23 posts
May 7, 2019 - 3:28 AM

@rockoyster,

so based on your input, it is better if we have the sequence like this?

Wengen to Lauterbrunnen by train (12 min)

to Grütschalp by cable car (9 min)

to Murren by train

to Schilthorn hiking

to Gimmewald by cable car

to Stechelberg by cable car

to Wengen by Bus

what is the best place to see wildflower in end may?

Last modified on May 7, 2019 - 3:40 AM by Baronessil
rockoyster
rockoyster
6697 posts
expert
May 7, 2019 - 3:56 AM in reply to Baronessil

Hi Baroness,

That looks right apart from the last step which should be "to Lauterbrunnen by Bus" followed by "to Wengen by train".

I'm not sure how you will go "hiking to Schilthorn" in May or anytime for that matter (Hint: I'm not a hiker). Maybe take the cable way to Schilthorn and instead consider www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren.

Wildflowers? Maybe Schynigge Platte but train may not be operating when you are there? There were many wildflowers on Mt Rigi when I visited Luzern on late May early June 2017. See www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/spring-flowers-on-rigi.

Try searching the forums for "spring flowers".

Last modified on May 7, 2019 - 4:02 AM by rockoyster
Baronessil
Baronessil
23 posts
May 7, 2019 - 7:05 AM

@rockoyster,

Thanks a lot

Steph
Steph
1512 posts
top member &
May 7, 2019 - 7:07 AM in reply to Baronessil

Hello Baronessil,

To figure out detailed connections and timetables for your tour use our timetable below. Read how it works and use the advanced timetable for your itinerary, if needed.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best,
Steph

Laurie331
Laurie331
6 posts
May 8, 2019 - 1:24 AM

Following.

rockoyster
rockoyster
6697 posts
expert
May 8, 2019 - 1:44 AM in reply to Laurie331

Hi Laurie,

You don't have to make a comment in order to get notifications of updates to a thread. You can just hit the "Subscribe" button at the top of the thread. 😇

Last modified on May 8, 2019 - 1:45 AM by rockoyster
Laurie331
Laurie331
6 posts
May 8, 2019 - 1:59 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks Rockoyster! I didn’t realize that. You have a great site here, very informative.

Enigma
Enigma
34 posts
May 10, 2019 - 6:27 PM in reply to rockoyster

hi rockoyster,

This is exactly what I was looking for. I will take the same route you suggested-

1. Wengen - Lauterbrunnen (Train)
  2. Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp (cable car)
  3. Grütschalp - Murren (Train)
  4. Murren - Schilthorn (cable car)
  5. Schilthorn -(via Murren)- Gimmelwald (do we need to change cable cars at Murren?)
  6. Gimmelwald - Stechelberg (cable car)
  7. Stechelberg - Lauterbrunnen (bus)

However, I will start this circuit from Grindelwald where my hotel stay will be. So, to reach from Grindelwald to Wengen, I'll have to take the cable car via Männlichen. I guess there's no better route?

Considering this entire routing, do you think this is manageable in one day? We will have a 5-yo child with us as well.

Last modified on May 10, 2019 - 6:27 PM by Enigma
Arno
Arno
13617 posts
expert &
May 10, 2019 - 6:31 PM in reply to Enigma

Hi Enigma,

You can also travel to Wengen by train, via Kleine Scheidegg. Or you can skip step 1 and travel to Lauterbrunnen via Zweilütschinen. All of this can easily be done in one day.

Yes, in Mürren you'll have an easy switch to another cable car. The entire route is explained here: www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere.

Enigma
Enigma
34 posts
May 10, 2019 - 6:50 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Thanks for giving those alternatives.

I will add another aspect here - cost!

I have the Swiss Travel pass and upon a quick check, I found that, a) whether I come via Männlichen or Kleine Scheidegg, I will have to pay 50% fare. b) If I come via Zweilütschinen that is covered in the Pass and I won't have to pay anything extra. Plus this will be a faster route?

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere

Last modified on May 10, 2019 - 6:50 PM by Enigma
Arno
Arno
13617 posts
expert &
May 10, 2019 - 6:51 PM in reply to Enigma

Yes, correct! The more expensive routes are more scenic but you'll probably see those on another day anyway.

Enigma
Enigma
34 posts
May 10, 2019 - 7:29 PM

Correct!

Bbrown6235
Bbrown6235
8 posts
May 20, 2019 - 4:10 AM

Will any of the transportation options described in this thread, local train or cable car, offer discounts to those w Eurail Pass? Thanks!

rockoyster
rockoyster
6697 posts
expert
May 20, 2019 - 4:19 AM in reply to Bbrown6235

Yes, they will all be 25% south and Interlaken Ost with a Eurail Global Pass. The good news if you have a Flexi pass you can even get the discounts without using a travel day as long as you are just on the discounted routes.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019