When to buy tickets from Zurich airport to Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tuyeda
Tuyeda
24 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 11:39 PM

My wife and i will be landing at Zurich airport on 18 August at 17:00. We will take a train to Lucerne. We will already have 3 day Swiss Travel Passes. However, we won't be using them until a couple days later, so I plan to buy regular-fare tickets from Zurich airport to Lucerne. From what i can tell, there are direct trains every half hour. I don't know which exact train we will take. It will depend if we land on time and how long it takes to get through immigration and get our luggage. Since I am buying the Swiss Travel Pass and a couple other trains online, I am wondering if I should buy this ticket as well. I think (but i am not sure) that it will be good for any train we end up taking to Lucerne (on that day). I don't think the price changes for this type of train, so my main idea is that I can save a little time by not having to wait in line for a ticket and not having to figure out the ticket machine. The SBB website shows this ticket (adult, no discount) at CHF 25 each. Does this sound like a good idea or would it be better to just buy it at the airport station? Also, if any of my assumptions are incorrect, please let me know. Thanks.

1960man
1960man
1860 posts
top member
Jun 12, 2019 - 11:44 PM in reply to Tuyeda

you can do either.

I find it simpler to just find a ticket machine near to the escalators down to the railway platforms.

Tuyeda
Tuyeda
24 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 11:48 PM

thanks for the speedy reply 1960man :)

Tuyeda
Tuyeda
24 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 11:51 PM

Any issues using a US-based credit card with these ticket machines?

Tuyeda
Tuyeda
24 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 1:04 AM

ok, it looks like I checked the sbb search tool incorrectly. Looks like from Zurich airport, there are direct trains to Luzern only once an hour and they are CHF 30. They also don't sell them this far in advance. It's less than 90 days but perhaps these kind of tickets are only sold within 60 days. Anyways, I think I'll just get them at the airport station.

Arno
Arno
13617 posts
expert &
Jun 13, 2019 - 6:46 AM

Hi Tuyeda,

You can buy tickets from many websites apart from SBB, and most of those don't have a 30 day limitation: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price. Buying from the machine works as well (may take a little time as a first timer).

Enjoy the ride!

Tuyeda
Tuyeda
24 posts
Jun 13, 2019 - 4:16 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks Arno. It doesn't seem like the price will change for this train, so as long as there is no additional processing fee, I think I will buy it online a couple days before we leave on our trip.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019