Lucerne to Milan via Rigi with luggage in Sept

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Charan 227
Charan 227
1 post
Sep 4, 2019 - 3:25 PM

Dear All

I am travelling to Lucerne on 30th September 2019 afternoon. Would be covering nearby tourist places on this day.

I would like to visit Mt. Rigi on October 1st & then head to Milan preferably by boarding train in the evening at around 4 to 5PM. I have some queries.

1. Since we are travelling for onward journey to Milan, we would like to leave Lucerne early morning & visit Mt.Rigi. While returning from Rigi we can proceed to Arth-Goldau. But since we have luggage, Do we have some cloak rooms so that we can keep our bags? Travelling with Luggage can be cumbersome. Or is it better to go back to Lucerne & board a train to Milan?

2.How much time does it take to cover Mt. Rigi from Lucerne & what would be the best mode of transport? Preferable time to leave in the morning?

2. How much time can we spend near Mt. Rigi?

Thanks & Regards

saicharan

Ildiko
Ildiko
436 posts
top member &
Sep 4, 2019 - 5:50 PM in reply to Charan 227

Hi Saicharan and welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you would like to go from Lucerne to Rigi then to Arth-Goldau then directly to Milan, I do not see, where you could leave your luggage. But it is true, you should not bring them with you to Rigi.

If you'll make this round trip it will take around 3 hours plus the time spent on the top which depends on you and what you would like to do there (hiking, eating in the restaurant or just have a quick view from the top). You can check the timetable here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Please make sure you read these too: www.myswissalps.com/ri gi and www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

1960man
1960man
2288 posts
top member
Sep 4, 2019 - 11:06 PM in reply to Charan 227

I fear you are trying to fit a bit too much in to too short a time

With luggage, the only sensible option would be to take the train to Arth Goldau (which is a major railway junction so almost certainly has luggage lockers) and travel up the ARB railway to Rigi. But this means you miss the 'circular' option and thus the lake boat and the Vitznau - Rigi railway

Ildiko
Ildiko
436 posts
top member &
Sep 5, 2019 - 5:18 AM

Hi Saicharan,

you'll find the description about the circles (Classic Round Trip and Majestic Round Trip), mentioned by 1960man here at the bottom of the page: www.myswissalps.com/ri gi.

andrew
andrew
98 posts
Sep 8, 2019 - 5:50 PM

Hi Charan 227,

A few years ago my wife and I travelled from Zurich Airport to Luzern via Rigi travelling via Arth Goldau, Rigi Kulm and boat from Vitznau. The point is that we did it with luggage. One medium and one small suitcases plus a smallish haversack. No problems. I wouldn't advise it nowadays in peak season in but October it won't be.

Andrew

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019