Hiking in Zermatt in April/May 2020

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Hughandlisa1
Hughandlisa1
11 posts
Oct 3, 2019 - 1:57 PM

My wife and I are in the planning stages for a trip to Italy in late April or early May. We would like to add 3 or 4 days to the trip and go to Switzerland. We are very familiar with the BO area as we just spent 5 days there last month. We are avid hikers and loved the hiking around Grindelwald. We’re thinking about Zermatt. Will the lower and mid range trails be under snow at this time? Will there be “boot trails” at the higher elevations? Is hiking at this time doable?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1960man
1960man
2210 posts
top member
Oct 3, 2019 - 11:23 PM in reply to Hughandlisa1

Skiing in Zermatt usually continues into mid April so late April / early May is the transition period in Zermatt, so it is a risky time to visit for hiking as some trails may still be closed as the switch is made from 'winter' to 'summer' mode.

By 'boot trails' I'm assuming you are referring to cleared trails through snow. If so these are what the Swiss call 'Winterwanderweg' so use that word if you are researching

Last modified on Oct 3, 2019 - 11:25 PM by 1960man
Anna
Anna
184 posts
active member &
Oct 4, 2019 - 3:39 AM in reply to Hughandlisa1

Hi Hughandlisa1,

First of all, I totally agree with 1960man, in April/May most of the hiking trails in Zermatt may still be closed. Hiking season in this area is from about late June through mid-October, weather permitting.
Here's a few links related to hiking in Zermatt to help you in your planning and research.

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/rotenboden-riffelalp
www.myswissalps.com/hi king/riffelalp-sunnegga
www.myswissalps.com/hi king/furi-zermatt
www.myswissalps.com/hi king/zermatt

For your side trip to Switzerland, perhaps you could also look into hiking in regions other than Zermatt. For example, in areas like Ticino or Central Switzerland, late April or early May is the start of the hiking season
www.myswissalps.com/ti cino/activities
www.myswissalps.com/ce ntralswitzerland/activ ities

Be sure to browse this link for more details and hiking trail options in the Swiss Alps
www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Anna

Hughandlisa1
Hughandlisa1
11 posts
Oct 4, 2019 - 11:03 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you for your replies

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019