Train route Zermatt-Andermatt-Luzern

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tarun M
Tarun M
2 posts
May 25, 2019 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

I will be travelling from Zermatt to Lucerne on June 30th. However, I wanted to check what is the best way to optimise the travel. I was checking some other thread and came to know of this route: Zermatt - Visp - Andermatt - Göschenen - Erstfeld - Luzern.

I understand I will have to change trains at each of these stations. I understand this is very scenic route and hence I am keen to take this. Please can anyone confirm what is the total time (approx) required for this route and is this route ok to take logistically if I am travelling with luggage with family (including kids)? Do I have to change platforms or will be relatively easy to catch different trains? Also i assume I will get space to keep luggage in each of train legs (2nd class Swiss pass)?

Thank you very much.

Annika
Annika
6012 posts
expert &
May 25, 2019 - 2:04 PM

Hi Tarun,

That's certainly a scenic route! It takes about 6 to 7 hours and it should be doable to change platforms in time, as most of the transfer stations are rather small. Worst case scenario is that you miss a train. If so, just wait for the next one and hop on. You don't have to make reservations and you can simply hop on and off with your Swiss Travel Pass. Please check details using the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble. Enter "Andermatt" as a via station. Traveling with luggage is no problem: myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage.

To make things more complicated, I'll add another beautiful alternative ;-). The route Zermatt-Goppenstein-Kandersteg-Spiez-Interlaken-Meiringen-Luzern is very scenic too and covers the northern part of the Golden Pass route (myswissalps.com/golden pass). It's about as long as the route you proposed and includes a similar amount of train changes.

1960man
1960man
2050 posts
top member
May 25, 2019 - 10:36 PM in reply to Tarun M

Standard time for Zermatt - Visp - Andermatt - Luzern is 6 hours 4 minutes with minimum four changes, or 5 hours 49 mins using the Glacier Express, with 3 changes (no change required at Visp - but extra fare payable)

If you use the regional trains on the 6 hours 4 min schedule the changes at Visp, Andermatt, Göschenen and Erstfeld are easy. Not much distance between platforms and signage for the connecting train very clear.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019