Zurich to Brienz or Oberhofen by car early August

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Green trip
Green trip
3 posts
May 30, 2019 - 12:21 AM

Hello, My husband and 2 teen age children are flying into Zurich early August . We only have a few days (2 nights) to spend in Switzerland before we need to be in Oberstaufen Germany. We have been told from some folks that the Interlaken area is a must see. Based upon our Germany destination, i feel that a car rental would be the best choice for the 4 of us. Having said that I have seen mixed reviews of traveling over the Brunig Pass and was considering perhaps staying in Oberhofen and arrive thru Bern on the less mountain terrain.. The second question that I have it traveling up to Oberstaufen Germany..Does anyone have thoughts on the best route to take? Thank you again

Greenbrook

Arno
Arno
13981 posts
expert &
May 30, 2019 - 8:46 AM

Hi Greenbrook,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps! I do not recommend to hire a car in Switzerland and drop it in Germany. Not sure if that's your plan but this could be very expensive. Even if this does not apply, I consider traveling by train in Switzerland to be part of the experience. Often better than by car. For Germany it can be different if going to rural places. If you do drive, then the Brünig Pass is fine in August. It's not very high. It is curvy, but that should be doable if the driver pays attention to the road rather than the scenery. More information is here:

There are many must sees in Switzerland. With only two days available, you could also choose the Lucerne area as it's closer to Zurich. Very easy to reach by train. You could then hire a car on the day you depart for Germany.

By car from the Interlaken area to Oberstaufen would be taking the same route back until Zug, then take the A3 east and A13 north via Austria. You need a vignette for Austria, and one for Switzerland too but rental cars have those included.

Just some ideas to get started. Let us know if you have more questions.

Green trip
Green trip
3 posts
May 31, 2019 - 12:33 PM

Thank you so very much for your reply, Initially when i checked the trains it looked like we would have to spend about $ 700 to accomplish just a train trip to Brienz and then to Oberstaufen Germany but i may have been on the wrong website. Based on your reply it does not look as expensive at first glance, which leads me to another quick question for you..As we do not know how long it will take to get thru customs and any arrival delays, can we purchase the tickets at the rail station? or are these trains booked in advance. we will also have our rolling luggage bags, is that an additional problem for the trains? Lastly, i see different rail cards..wondering your opinion it we were to purchase the swiss half fare if we plan do 3 excursions while in Brienz as well . Thank you again for your help

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6602 posts
expert
May 31, 2019 - 9:48 PM in reply to Green trip

Partial answer-

You don't need reservations or advance purchase tickets on main line trains in Switzerland:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

They run just like city buses. Buy your ticket before you get on then hop on the one you prefer during the day. Miss one? Catch the next one.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
13981 posts
expert &
Jun 1, 2019 - 7:28 AM

Hi Green trip,

These two passes are worth it to look into:

You can do the math to compare these options to buying regular tickets without any pass, which is usually the most expensive option: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

If you need a discounted or regular ticket, you can buy it at the station, or save time and buy it online: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland. Just make sure not to buy Supersaver tickets because they are for one specific train, which is not handy if the plane is delayed.

Luggage is not a problem: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage.

Green trip
Green trip
3 posts
Jun 3, 2019 - 1:41 PM

Thank you Arno, I think I may take your advice on the swiss half. card..I think we will secure a car in Lucerne after we leave Brienz and return the auto to Chur a week later and take the Bernia Express and end our trip in venice. thanks again for your help!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6602 posts
expert
Jun 3, 2019 - 2:37 PM in reply to Green trip

I have rented at Interlaken in the past.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019